Getting fuel up to the injectors?

Getting the pumbing right for your Diesel fuel feed..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Anorak_ian
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Getting fuel up to the injectors?

Post by Anorak_ian »

My bike is now just a spit away from being on the road, and I have a small problem, I can't get the engine running.

I have pumped the fuel past the lifter pump and vented air out of the injector pump vent, and I've flattened my battery trying to fire it up, but no real amount of fuel is getting to the end of the fuel lines and injectors.

So what is the best way to get the fuel through? Unscrew the fuel line at the injector, fully open the throttle and use the starter until the fuel gets through?
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Re: Getting fuel up to the injectors?

Post by Diesel Dave »

Ian, if the engine has been standing for a long time then the fuel can varnish up in the pump and injector.

I remember Sanders Daihatsu at Hamm a few years back - first start after 11 years and it took a lot of working through the pump with a rich blend of injector cleaner and fuel.

Loosen the connector pipe at the injector end and see if it spills fuel, if not then try squirting diesel injector cleaner into the pump from both ends and leaving overnight.

A stuck piston in the injector pump was the cause of Joff's bike problems, not a difficult fix but takes a while to do.

Cheers
Dave
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

Thank's for the info Dave. It's just this job and swap over the plunger suspension for the new parts and then it's on the road. :)
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Ian, remind me what engine you are fiddling with?
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

It's a Rugarrini RD211 23hp 954cc

Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Great - straight foward stuff.

Start by making sure that fuel flows freely into the injector pumps then loosen the injector union a tad and see if fuel squirts out (I suspect the pumps are gummed up).

If it flows out of the union when easing over on the kicker then the injectors are jammed and will need freeing or rebuilding, they can sometime be freed by filling with injector cleaner overnight.

If all's well you should be able to hear the injectors 'Gronk' if you ease the motor over TDC, the disadvantage of no decomps and electric starters - you can't hear a thing.

If you remove the pumps for cleaning then don't drop the tappet down the crankcase - it has a habit of sticking to the bottom of the injector pump right up 'till the last minute and then dropping. Also don't remove the shims as these control the timing. The tiny parts inside the pump need to be kept immaculately clean and don't scratch any part as they have precision finishes so no metal tools. You will find a spring loaded valve inside that may be gummed into place, carb cleaner works well.

Cheers
Dave
johnfireball

Post by johnfireball »

Nice bike, what did it start as? or is it custom frame?
John.
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

It started life as a 1948 Ariel, Im glad you like it. :D
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

Nice bike, I have the same engine in the honda, Dave is a little off in the advice. There is only one injector pump and it is a duel. there is no tappets as the bottom of the pumps is rollers that are in direct contact with the camshaft, he is correct in the shims affect the timeing. before you take the pump off just make sure the stop control is not in the off position. Just undu the injector pipes and the fuel should squit when the engine is turned over. If its easy enough to do if you remove the injectors the engine will turn freely and wont flatten the battery. What battery are you useing? I have two on the honda.
Sam
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

Hi Sam, thanks for the info.
I use a Harley hi amps gel battery as it is way better than any other I have come across, it's designed to kick over a 1450cc v twin so it should be ok, but it is a bit more expensive than a Taiwan battery at £100 - £120 :D

Ian
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

Just incase you havent got http://service.ruggerini.it/english/man_index_gb.htm this is usefull tell you everthing you need to know about the engine.
Sam
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Nice looking bike Ian :D And a Ruggerini too :!: :D Great stuff :D
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

Thanks, I find my self standing back from it and admiring it, I have to snap my self out of it and get some work done. :D
I've used some carb injector spray cleaner in the injector pump, so I guess I'll find out tomorrow if it's working or if I have to rebuild the pump. Fingers crossed. :D
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

Ian,

Great to see this bike shaping up so well. I remember reading your website a few years ago before the dieselbike forum was web based, it was one of the earlier projects that fired my imagination. Great work.

N
Smart engined 800cc turbo diesel triumph tiger. 100mpg (imp)
Belfast to Kathmandu overland, 2010/2011 - http://www.suckindiesel.com
Bangkok to Sydney ???
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

Ha ha, thank you, and thank you for reminding me how long it's been lol :D
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

On a more serious note, I too have read that website and it was a great inspiration.
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.