Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Throttlepansy
I'm pretty new here..

CVT "rideability"

Post by Throttlepansy »

Hi All,

First post on this forum..

Being a fan of torquey diesel engines, and stepless gear-systems, the two combined seems perfect. However, when driving my CVT-equiped car (an old Subaru Justy), its v.easy to spin the wheels in the wet (in front-WD mode), when making fast getaways. I notice also that the forth-coming Aprilia Mana (with CVT) has a "wet-weather" setting, presumeably for some degree of traction-control. My interest is obviously centred on Erik's TD-800, as this (I believe) has CVT. The question is, what happens when you give it a big handful of throttle in the wet? Still looking forward to riding one, tho! :D

Arf
Erik "EVA Products

CVT in the Wet

Post by Erik "EVA Products »

Hallo Arf,

Yes we use 3 types of CVT for different configurations.

You just asked on one of the nice features of CVT.
When you have a slippery surface and the wheel wants to spin, the moment the spin starts it stops again. This is because the system want to throttle up when the RPM goes up. however the power goes down so this stops the wheel form spinning. So no uncontrolled slide. only a very small one. Power control ;-)) when the setup is correct!!

Erik
Throttlepansy
I'm pretty new here..

Re: CVT in the Wet

Post by Throttlepansy »

[quote="Erik "EVA Products"]Hallo Arf,

Yes we use 3 types of CVT for different configurations.

You just asked on one of the nice features of CVT.
When you have a slippery surface and the wheel wants to spin, the moment the spin starts it stops again. This is because the system want to throttle up when the RPM goes up. however the power goes down so this stops the wheel form spinning. So no uncontrolled slide. only a very small one. Power control ;-)) when the setup is correct!!

Erik[/quote]

Hi Erik,

thanks for your reply, I see what you mean. That's reassuring! One other question, I take it there's no clutch lever on the left side & how do you select "drive"
You must be v.busy right now. Will there be any demo bikes for test rides later in the year? I'll be on the ferry straight away!

Arf
Arf - Blood:O Rh+, Motor: OHV+