car rear wheels and brakes

Topics concerning those circular things and how to stop them..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

tillerman
I don't post much...

car rear wheels and brakes

Post by tillerman »

I have seen on several sites where the rear wheel was swapped for a car wheel. I like the looks and strength of this set-up but can find no information on how it is done. One solution seems to use a shop made swing arm but I am unsure how the sprocket or bevel gear is attached.

Several bikes seem to use a diesel from a car, and it only makes sense to use the trans and final drive.

I would like to set up the bike I am currently working on, with a suburu back wheel, tire, and brakes. I have plenty of these and they are about the right size. I do not mind rebuilding the back part of the frame. I don't really need rear suspension - I could build a side swing arm without the swing - if you know what I mean. Also, I don't really care what it looks like as long as it is strong.

I could easily weld a rear mount for the suburu spindle but then, how do I drive it? Where and how do I mount the sprocket?

I noticed several rat bikes made from auto parts but couldn't make out the details on the photos.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tillerman
dieselrad
I don't post much...

Post by dieselrad »

Good idea that, using a car rear wheel and brakes, makes for a nice chunky look, wouldnt know how it would ride though.

One idea would be to use a shop made single sided swing arm copying designs off say, ducati, or a buggy. One way to do this would be to have a conventional say four or five stud spindle mounted onto a sprocket, but this would eliminate the use of a rear brake unless a fancy sprocket type disk brake is used, and when shop made can be very expensive and difficult. this is sometimes used on choppers and other custom bikes.

another option could be to omit a rear swing arm and have an (independant) axle and transmision hold the wheel in place and have the axle spin through a bore that could be sprung gainst the main of the frame.

or go hard tail. not a good idea for a diesel (unless compensated for) as vibration could knock your fillings and kidneys out.

otherwise just sit down with a pad and pencil and copy down a few newer advancements, look at jap bikes and euro bikes and you may be able to come up with something.

if you could get in contact with the bloke that makes the "haydn" creations he could be most helpful (or any other rat bike creator).

usually the most simple devices are the most effective.
Ih8Suvs
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by Ih8Suvs »

If handling is even the least bit important to you I would stick with a motorcycle tire. Car tires are cheap and wear well, but they aren't very sticky and don't have the right profile. There are cheap motorcycle tires that work well, Cheng Shin or Kenda for example if cost is the reason you are considering it. If cost is not an object and it is instead a look you are going after there are plenty of fatty chopper tires available today.
oldbmw

Post by oldbmw »

Ih8Suvs wrote:If handling is even the least bit important to you I would stick with a motorcycle tire. Car tires are cheap and wear well, but they aren't very sticky and don't have the right profile. There are cheap motorcycle tires that work well, Cheng Shin or Kenda for example if cost is the reason you are considering it. If cost is not an object and it is instead a look you are going after there are plenty of fatty chopper tires available today.
Do you actually need 'sticky' rear tyres with a diesel bike ?
Ih8Suvs

Post by Ih8Suvs »

oldbmw wrote:
Ih8Suvs wrote:If handling is even the least bit important to you I would stick with a motorcycle tire. Car tires are cheap and wear well, but they aren't very sticky and don't have the right profile. There are cheap motorcycle tires that work well, Cheng Shin or Kenda for example if cost is the reason you are considering it. If cost is not an object and it is instead a look you are going after there are plenty of fatty chopper tires available today.
Do you actually need 'sticky' rear tyres with a diesel bike ?
If you like to corner, a very resounding yes!! How little horsepower a bike may have has nothing to do with its ability to corner. In fact a low horsepower machine makes you want to corner faster. The more you slow down in a turn the longer it takes to get back up to speed again.