Diesel Grunt

Talk about anything unrelated to Diesel Motorcycles - hard as that may be..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

andrewaust
Site Admin

Diesel Grunt

Post by andrewaust »

Wish my Enfield could get up and go like this = I can relate to the smoke too :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVh3nueH ... r_embedded
Sphere
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Diesel Grunt

Post by Sphere »

Uhm, forgive my ignorance, but why does that truck tilt so much?
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
Dan J

Post by Dan J »

I think it's the incredible levels of torque being created by the longitudinally mounted engine :!:

You can feel something similar sat in an old Land Rover with worn suspension as you rev the engine :D
1990 Honda NTV600 Revere
andrewaust
Site Admin

Post by andrewaust »

Yes guy's, its the torque twisting the chassis, a good way to bugger up a good truck. Can you imagine what damage is getting done to the structure of them rigs, especially the one which is lifting off the ground a few feet.

A ;)
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

the brute power of torque is amazing isn't it.

Generally speaking energy will first move the point that is easiest to move. In this case the energy is so powerful for that instant that the axle has alot of grab on the ground... it is easier to pick up the front end than overcome the friction of the tires and move the whole rig. In most cases.... the engines torque is not powerful enough to pick up the front corner or move the truck forward till the friction is overcome and it can move the mass of the whole vehicle. The vehicle will attempt to lift that tire though.... you might be able to feel it in your seat of your pants.... but it not be visible with out looking close
IgorVigor

Post by IgorVigor »

Sounds good though... :P

As for the Land Rover comment, I think I resent that :P
All series land rovers do it... :)

Leaf springs (With different weight capacities) on the front causes it...
Series Land Rovers had a stiffer leaf spring on the Drivers side in a RHD vehicle.
It was done due to the fact that the driver and fuel tank were both on that side...

Anyway, I think its much nicer when the vehicle moves a bit when the engine is revved.

My Landy rocks nicely at idle :P...