CVT clutch??

Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

CVT clutch??

Post by coachgeo »

still wrapping my head around a CVT.

If I understand right a CVT uses an auto clutch. Clutch disengages at an engine rpm you would consider out of gear and idling at a red light? Maybe something similar in concept to old friction clutches on minibikes and go-carts. Is this correct thinking?
Sphere

Re: CVT clutch??

Post by Sphere »

'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Thanks for clarifying. I've been thru many of those listed in that search already. It's been a bit confusing with discussions about modifying the weights and springs in Commet like CVT's to adjust pulley movements. Now that seems to be out and its about rollers??
cumorglas

Post by cumorglas »

depends. some use pucks and springs some use weighted rollers and springs on the drive pulley. the clutching comes from the conical pulley surfaces spreading out till there is no friction left to move the belt. the driven usually just has springs to adjust. but there may be exceptions.

if you've done some research and spend a little time watching how the belt moves up and down the two pulleys in that video heiko posted of the cx500 you can easily figure it all out. that particular video is a very good illustration of the cvt doing its thing.

i understand in texas you don't have hiperformance sled shops. i bartered some of my technical knowledge with a the owner of one near me. in exchange he let me learn and practice tuning one of his customers racing sleds. on a racing sled the tuning ends up basically the opposite of what we do but the process is essentially the same. figure out where your power band is then adjust springs and whatever you use for weights on the drive pulley ton set your clutchin point and the rate the cones slap together. on the driven you adjust springs to control how the rate they pull apart.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

cumorglas wrote:...if you've done some research and spend a little time watching how the belt moves up and down the two pulleys in that video heiko posted of the cx500 you can easily figure it all out. that particular video is a very good illustration of the cvt doing its thing....
Yeah there is good ones on scooters that do that too. Understand the movement changes the ratios.
the clutching comes from the conical pulley surfaces spreading out till there is no friction left to move the belt....
Welll Duhhhh on my part... pully just pulls apart enough that the sides dont engage the belt so it transmits no power to the driven (output) pulley... grrrr... I hate being stupid LOL
... i understand in texas you don't have hiperformance sled shops. i bartered some of my technical knowledge with a the owner of one near me. in exchange he let me learn and practice tuning one of his customers racing sleds. on a racing sled the tuning ends up basically the opposite of what we do but the process is essentially the same. figure out where your power band is then adjust springs and whatever you use for weights on the drive pulley ton set your clutchin point and the rate the cones slap together. on the driven you adjust springs to control how the rate they pull apart.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Found this
http://www.g-forcepowersports.com/cvttuning.html wrote:CVT Tuning
CVT CVT Tuning your CVT is the key to beating your opponent. No matter how much power your engine produces it must be able to make it to the rear wheels.

Here is a brief explanation of what the major components do:

Rollers: Control the speed of shifting from low to high gear. How soon you shift from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd an so on. Torque spring also impacts how rollers shift.

Torque Spring: Holds belt from slipping and pulls quad into low gear.

Clutch Springs: Impacts the rpm level that the clutch engages.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

link from above article took me to the best explanation of how the cvt does idle and changes ratios via weighted rollers that I've seen yet.

http://site.g-forcepowersports.com/CVTTune.pdf