engine size

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

lardy1
Been here a while now..

engine size

Post by lardy1 »

has anybody got any ideas on what is the best size single cylinder engine to use,i waz thinking of a yanmar unit,many thanks :)
sbrumby
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: engine size

Post by sbrumby »

Sorry to go back to my pet hate, but without knowing where on the earth you live it becomes very dificult to know how to reply to some questions.
Sam
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

How is geography relevant for this question? :roll:

Anyway, isn't the biggest Yanmar the L100 or something? If you really need to stay single cylinder Yanmar I guess go with that. 9-10hp.
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Hi Sam,

I'd say it really depends on weather it has a balance shaft or not.

Lombardini 6LD are old school and without a balance shaft and I would not go over 400cc as it's a recipe for vibration that would humble a road repair crew.

If however it has a balance shaft then the 462cc hatz or the 500 15ld Lombardini are both good and useable but I would not venture higher than this as the flywheel weight becomes massive.

Cheers
Dave
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Sphere wrote:How is geography relevant for this question? :roll: ....
Sphere you've been around awhile so should we assume your being factitious :?: As you know geography makes a huge difference in availability of engines, such as the differences between what is available American Continents and the European Continent. Heck what is available in the Asian market in Asia is different than the Asian market sources out side of it.
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Seems to me TS is stuck on Yanmar, so how is giving a practical answer factitious? Indeed, quite the opposite. If you read TS posts it's not rocket science to figure out he's from the UK. Now, if the TS returns this saves him an iteration. Happy to help.
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
lardy1
Been here a while now..

Post by lardy1 »

sbrumby wrote:Sorry to go back to my pet hate, but without knowing where on the earth you live it becomes very dificult to know how to reply to some questions.
hi matey,i live in surrey,england if that helps :)
lardy1
Been here a while now..

Post by lardy1 »

Sphere wrote:How is geography relevant for this question? :roll:

Anyway, isn't the biggest Yanmar the L100 or something? If you really need to stay single cylinder Yanmar I guess go with that. 9-10hp.
aye thats what i was thinking,hopefully a decent turn of speed??
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Decent is a matter of preference. I think you will be pleasantly surprised it will go faster than the Aixam you had on loan, but don't expect sonic booms. 55-60mph depending on lots of things like weather, weight, gearing etc etc.
lardy1
Been here a while now..

Post by lardy1 »

aye that carwas impressive,might do a bike with one of those engines later,55-60 will do does that mean 80mpg or more??.
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

140ish mpg (Imp). Some get 150-160. All depends on what topspeed you do.
lardy1
Been here a while now..

Post by lardy1 »

mmmmmmmmm,dependson my mood at the time :evil: