Clutch Servo

Clutches, Chain & Belt Drives

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

realnutter
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Clutch Servo

Post by realnutter »

Hi...

I'm using a Citroen AX1.4 engine, clutch and gearbox......

i'm guessing my left hand is not up to pulling the clutch in, so i will need a servo of some sort....

any thoughts?
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Re: Clutch Servo

Post by Diesel Dave »

Hmm a tricky one.

You will need a vac pump too as a diesel does not provide the intake vacuum that a petrol motor does.

You won't be able to mount the servo on the bars directly so it will end up as cable/servo/hydraulic. From memory the only cable operated servo I've ever seen was on an old Rover SD1 and it was huge.

It might be worthwhile experimenting with different master cylinder sizes first to see how heavy the clutch would be.

Dave
realnutter

Post by realnutter »

Thanks Dave...

The engine has a vacuum pump on the end of the camshaft, so that's no issue (tho i'd like to lose it for packaging reasons)...

car ones do seem huge, and i wonder if they're any good...since brake pistons hardly move at all - ie very little flow.... and i need lots of flow but not too great a pressure....
TimppaX

Post by TimppaX »

You´ll need some sort of independent servosystem, unless engine is always stopped gear on neutral. Clutch shold be operable without help from engine. If not You´ll face some serious problems trying to operate it with engine stopped ang gear on.. Unless You can jank to neutral without it.
that should do it