comet 90d help

Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

toyotaracer9
I luv the smell of Diesel...

comet 90d help

Post by toyotaracer9 »

Hi everyone , I am in the process of installing the CVT clutch on my bike and have a quick question . The driven part of the CVT opens as the clutch closes , the belt top width is 1 3/16 " how much clearance should I leave between the frame and the driven ? I was hoping to get this as close as possible to keep everything nice and tight . would 1/8" over be too close ? thanks Shane
If it isn't broken , break it .
dieselbikin

Re: comet 90d help

Post by dieselbikin »

My bike uses a 90D driven also. When I first installed it I put it too close to the frame and the top sheave with an X on it rubbed as the CVT shifted.

This will be in relation to the driven's postion in the above picture.

During operation the bottom sheave will be rotating in the direction of the arrow locked to the jackshaft.

As the driver sheaves close together the belt is pulled inside the driven's sheaves.

This is accomplished by the top sheave in the picture slowing down in relation to the bottom sheave.

As this happens the top sheave goes up towards the top of the driven.

The red distance between the two yellow lines is how far the top sheave will move.

I'm guessing it's significantly more than 1/8". If flip the driven upside down from the picture you can put a hand on each side of the now bottom sheave, one with an X, and push and rotate it down to see for yourself. Hope this helps.
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
toyotaracer9

Post by toyotaracer9 »

thanks for taking the time to make the diagram , dieselbikin . I was thinking of spacing the back side you said hit on yours 1 3/16" plus 1/8" from my frame ,do you think the 1/8" over 1 3/16 which is 1 5/16" would be enough clearance ?
toyotaracer9

Post by toyotaracer9 »

I must not have caught the last line you had written dieselbikin , so you are saying the little black nylon pieces bottom out on the bottom when it is fully shifted out ?
dieselbikin

Post by dieselbikin »

I understand better now. I/8 inch of additional clearance with the driven fully expanded. Seems close, but as long as it is not rubbing no harm done. If you realize the driven is too close later you can shim the driver and driven away from the frame/engine with washers.
toyotaracer9 wrote:I must not have caught the last line you had written dieselbikin , so you are saying the little black nylon pieces bottom out on the bottom when it is fully shifted out ?
Yes, that is what I am seeing when I watch mine shift out with the bike on its center stand.
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet