No fuel, engine shut off device

Getting the pumbing right for your Diesel fuel feed..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Anorak_ian
I luv the smell of Diesel...

No fuel, engine shut off device

Post by Anorak_ian »

I have found what was giving me so much trouble starting my engine, it's an engine shut off valve that kicks in to life if the fuel runs out. :D It's an aftermarket part that fits on top of an injector pump (between the lifter pump and injector pump) to save the whole fuel system from getting air in it if you forget to gas up.

A nice bit of kit for a diesel bike, unfortunately this one is old and worn, and in need of replacement parts, so if anyone knows of a stockist let me know.

It works like this, you can't compress the fuel, so the pressure from the lifter pump pushes open the plunger, when the fuel runs out there's nothing to push the plunger and it shuts causing a vacuumed in the fuel system and the engine cuts out due to fuel starvation.
Last edited by Anorak_ian on Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tappy

Re: No fuel, engine shut off device

Post by tappy »

Nice one mate - you must've been getting quite frustrated with injector cleaning. Glad you found the problem!
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

Yes, it was driving me nuts.
It was an intermittent fault letting fuel through only when I was checking the flow,
and it stopped working when I wasn't looking. Sneaky damn thing. :lol:

I actually rode the bike yesterday, very badly. I forgot to swap the 21 tooth sprocket with a 17 tooth, and what’s that smell, oh it's the clutch. :lol: Next time I'll start the bike off on the flat, up hills a real bugger.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Reminds me of when my fuel shut off plunger broke off and got sucked in every time the engine started. Ran for a bit and stopped. Most frustrating :D Glad it's running for you now though :D
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
andrewaust
Site Admin

Post by andrewaust »

Yes, similar thing happened to me when the engine switch on the Enfield went open circuit preventing power to the fuel solenoid, so as soon as the bike was registered requiring the device, off it went, - pain in the arse.

A ;)