Books

Websites, Print Articles, Books, Video, etc

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Stuart
Site Admin

Books

Post by Stuart »

I'm hot on the trail of Dick Powells book, 'Without Let or Hindrance' as was recommended by Tom in Hamm. All about hell for leather solo european tours on old British bikes directly after WW2 when all the bridges were bombed out and stuff. No luck as yet :(

Coming out from the library (without that particular book) I spotted 'Engineering' by Natasha McCarthy. If you're an engineer (aren't all bike builders?) and feeling a little under-valued then there are many lines in here that will have you nodding in agreement. So far, a good read :D
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Engineering-Beg ... 969&sr=8-1

While I'm mentioning books on Engineering I'll also mention 'Victorian Engineering' by L.T.C.Rolt. Another good read :D
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victorian-Engin ... 069&sr=8-5
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
fishlegs
Been here a while now..

Re: Books

Post by fishlegs »

Nigel Calder's a good source for diesel engine mechanics. such as: "Marine Diesel Engines: Maintenance, Troubleshooting, and Repair." I've found his "Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual: How to Maintain, Repair, and Improve Your Boat's Essential Systems" very useful in life.
Stuart
Site Admin

Re: Books

Post by Stuart »

Many thanks to Peter Wright of the Matchless club who knew Dick Powell and just sent me his one and only copy of the book to read (see pics). I'm halfway through it already Pete and it will be winging it's way back soon. Great read :D Fuel consumption of those old 350 Matchless bikes approaching our diesels :D
front
front
back
back
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.