Pocket Bike CVT hmmmmm???

Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Pocket Bike CVT hmmmmm???

Post by coachgeo »

came across these photos of a CVT tranny off of a Pocket bike (pit bike). Wonder if any of this could be used to make a CVT for a diesel project. This particular one is for off a bike around 50cc

If price is right... wonder if you could change springs or something for larger bikes. I doubt as large as I want though. Shooting for 900cc turbo daihatsu

these run only 70 buks.. Im shocked

http://www.pocketbikeparts.com/CVT_p/x2tx300627.htm
Attachments
!B,H4lq!BGk~$(KGrHgoOKi8EjlLmZdNYBKq!1sEfuw~~_12.JPG
!B,H4cH!!2k~$(KGrHgoOKjEEjlLmZ(ZQBKq!1LCVHw~~_12.JPG
cumorglas

Re: Pocket Bike CVT hmmmmm???

Post by cumorglas »

i bet if you found one cheap off a 150 or 250 chinese scooter or sportbike it would be worth messing with. but i am pretty sure the 50cc jobbie isn't gonna last.

if you have a place near you that sells the chinese scooters go look at the cvts on them you'll see what i mean.
TimppaX

Post by TimppaX »

I did earlier some research about those and result was that diesel has too low rpm and way too much torque for those.
that should do it
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

I too would think that the 50cc version would have the life expectancy of a fruit fly. But check out the link below from Japan. Apparently someone is using a variant of it. This "scooter" is unique in 2 regards, albeit rather crude. It is driven from the flywheel side to a jack shaft where it's likely geared up into the mosquito range where power is then presumably transmitted through some form of a scooter CVT. Who knows if it works, but someone was having fun.

Don't bother with the translation. There's no text of any help.

Ron

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/valkan243/17317150.html
Ron
cumorglas

Post by cumorglas »

pietenpol2002 wrote:I too would think that the 50cc version would have the life expectancy of a fruit fly. But check out the link below from Japan. Apparently someone is using a variant of it. This "scooter" is unique in 2 regards, albeit rather crude. It is driven from the flywheel side to a jack shaft where it's likely geared up into the mosquito range where power is then presumably transmitted through some form of a scooter CVT. Who knows if it works, but someone was having fun.

Don't bother with the translation. There's no text of any help.

Ron

http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/valkan243/17317150.html
i watch craigslist everyday looking for some knucklehead who has destroyed the motor in a 150 or 250 scooter. i think
it would not be hard to put 6.8 hp yanclone in there. there is no shortage of high perf snomobile shops around here. those guys tune cvts all the time. when i wanted to tune my comet 40 they looked at me like i was crazy but found lighter springs than comet offered. having been through that i think it would be similar with the chinese cvt. i think a lot of trial and error but springs are cheap and weights aren't hard to cast.

speaking of which should we move this to the cvt section?