Re: Big Knock 2009 - 29th May - 30th May

Talk about riding, events, meets, rally's, etc...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Just a bump to put it back at the top of the list as it's getting closer.

I'll be arriving in the camper van on the Thursday afternoon with the Tiger on the trailer (no doubt to take even more stick from Yochen this year). It looks like Old Sluggy's gonna get a rest for the duration.

I have a couple of cheap garden gazebo's that I'll bring along in case the weathers slightly less than perfect (to keep the sun off naturally), and I think burning a few processed meat products over charcoal might be on the cards.

Anyhoo the kettle will be on for anybody who wants a cuppa so pop along and say hi.

Cheers
Dave
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

The promotion of the event is in full swing with Local newspapers informed of our dates along with adverts in BSH and various diary entries also. We've also been busy putting out flyers in all the right places :D
One thing I should mention is that we are not planning to have any live music on Saturday this year. So we'll all be able to talk bikes instead :D
I dunno about you but I'm looking forward to seeing some new bikes. I'm still struggling to fix my gearbox in time to get the Ruggerfield along. But that is not a sure thing as yet.
I look forward to seeing eveyone again and if you have a diesel bike please make the effort. You'll find some interesting and knowledgable ppl in attendance 8)
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
Dan J
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by Dan J »

I'm aiming to arrive early Friday afternoon. Looking forward to meeting people.

Stuart - is breakfast still on at the pub each day?
1990 Honda NTV600 Revere
Diesel Graham
Been here a while now..

Post by Diesel Graham »

I will be coming down from Gloucestershire again this year, same bike, few new parts, few more fell off, not much different really.
I hope to bring a camping chair this time to avoid the wet arse I experienced last time on my first ever camping trip.

Graham.
Enfield Taurus Greaves - running well now!
Lohmann 18cc - undergoing restoration
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

I'm gonna make the effort to come this year. Not sure if it will be by boat or plane though I don't think the bike will be ready (plus all the paperwork stuff too). Still want to meet you all though.

N
Smart engined 800cc turbo diesel triumph tiger. 100mpg (imp)
Belfast to Kathmandu overland, 2010/2011 - http://www.suckindiesel.com
Bangkok to Sydney ???
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Neil, we don't care if you come by Shank's Pony your more than welcome.

If your gonna fly in then let us know where/when you land and collection may be possible -just don't pack too much luggage as it might be on a bike :D

Dave
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

Diesel Dave wrote:Neil, we don't care if you come by Shank's Pony your more than welcome.

If your gonna fly in then let us know where/when you land and collection may be possible -just don't pack too much luggage as it might be on a bike :D

Dave
Great! Thanks for the offer Dave, may just take you up on that. Probably Gatwick is looking good so far. Looking forward to it.

N
Bangkok to Sydney ???
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

I splashed out yesterday and placed some more adverts in the Friday Ad's. They cover the surrounding area's taking in Guildford, Brighton, Worthing, Crawley etc. Unlike last year I've listed the event in both the Motorcycle's for sale column and the Event's section.
We'll be putting out more flyers soon also.

I'm starting to get a steady stream of calls from ppl asking about camping etc. No doubt the pub will also be getting calls :D I think the rally is also listed on more bike sites event pages than before which is good. As always I am getting a ton of calls from ppl wanted to do the food or sell me wristbands to hand out etc etc.. It's nice when the event actually starts because I can get away from the bloody PC and start talking bikes in a field :D

Must find a supplier of good local beef burgers for the barby :P
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
Zem

Post by Zem »

Hi,

My arrival is planed for Thursday evening. My Travel will start on 14:30 in Düsseldorf if somebody will join.
Unfortunately my Crankshaft is broken yesterday during test ride, so I will have to travel on my Petrol powered Ural again.

best regards
Hans
--
May the Source be with you!
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

I'm coming this year. Flights booked should be there on Friday evening. Flying unfortunately but will be great to meet you all.

Neil
Bangkok to Sydney ???
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Ok Hans, Neil, be good to see you guys :D I did about 50 miles today (to prove the bike after the gearbox repair) and took the oppotunity to drop a few more flyers off and finalise things for the Rally. As previously stated we are to be in the Event field alongside the access road. Campers will this year get a tag to tie onto their tent. I'm aimimg to get there Lunchtime'ish on Thursday. I'll drop the sidestand wood off Wednesday or before. There will be breakfast available Saturday & Sunday and possible the Friday depending on numbers.
Ride out will be 12 noon Saturday.
:arrow: Roll on next week :D

Stuart
Dan J

Post by Dan J »

From the Met Office website...

UK Outlook for Friday 29 May 2009 to Sunday 7 Jun 2009:
From Friday through the weekend generally settled weather is expected with a good deal of sunshine, and most places should remain completely dry. Only the far North of Scotland is likely to see any rain. It will become warm or very warm with the highest temperatures over southern and western areas. Indeed some hot weather is possible for a time, though coasts will be cooler with onshore sea breezes.

Sounds good to me.
1990 Honda NTV600 Revere
oldbmw

big knock

Post by oldbmw »

I have booked the ferry, and on the Thursday will be going up to Spalding, hopefully to buy a bike. Stopping at leicester overnight, then back to the Big Knock via Hitchcocks as I will want a few things from them. If all goes well I hope to arrive at the meet late Friday PM..
Larry
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Just to let you all know I am heading off to the Rally site this Thursday lunchtime. Just been told to expect a Diesel BMW K100 and sidcar Friday so that should be interesting :D
I'll be on site from tonight until literally, Sunday's 'last knockings' :D . The Rideout is at 12 noon Saturday and will probably be to Bury Hill.
See you there :!: 8)

Stuart
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

Guys,

I know a lot of you are still on the way home or haven't left yet, but thanks for everything this year. It was great to sit in a field with some like-minded people that don't immediately assume you are nuts because you want a diesel bike. I know these things take a lot of organisation so respect for that. And thanks for going out of the way to transport and put me in a tent etc, wouldn't have been possible otherwise.

Now back to the garage...

Neil
Bangkok to Sydney ???
Dan J

Post by Dan J »

Just a quick note to say thanks (again) for organising the rally Stuart. It was great meeting everybody and a very relaxed and easy going event. Thanks also to Dave and Bren for providing various meals - it was very much appreciated.

Next year I think I will be forced to bring shorts and sun block!
1990 Honda NTV600 Revere
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Cheers guys. It's almost 2am here and I've just posted the rally report on the mainsite :D :D
Stuart
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Well it's all over for another year, blisteringly hot weather, and some new bikes to ogle at.

Thanks to Stu for the organisation and all who managed to attend.

Dave
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Stuart wrote:.... posted the rally report on the mainsite :....
and the mainsite issss

http://www.dieselbike.net/BritishRally0 ... ally09.htm
LocomotiveBreath

Post by LocomotiveBreath »

I sure would like to see something like the big knock here in the Americas, maybe one day, it will happen someday. I sure sure am proud to post on a site where the members can help pull these rallys off. All the bikes looked great, and Eriks Track bike is very impressve. Way to go Diesel Bikers on the Right Side of the pond.

Dave
“Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave, and keep on thinking free. "Moody Blues"
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Finally managed to load up some photo's:

http://photobucket.com/BigKnock

Dave
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Good to see more pictures, Dave :D I had a request from BSH for a set and so have submitted a CD. I'll keep you posted on what appears.

Thanks again to everyone who attended. Like Dave says, the best bit is just waiting to see what rolls in through the gate.

It's a shame that not all of the organisers from Hamm could make it this year but I understand that because of events it was just not possible. I hope to see them all fit and well come September. The British rally would never have happened if they hadn't said to me why don't you have a go in England :?: I hadn't given it a thought but Reinhard said it takes very little organisation. He was right. I just booked the venue and said it was happening - and it did :!: Word soon gets round on the bike scene that something is occuring and by dropping a few lines about the rally to the local news papers I ensure quite a few locals come and see whats happening too.
The only real lesson we learned from the Hamm organisers was to locate the venue centrally so it was easier to reach. I've been told the UK is too far south but it's where it is to encourage riders from continental Europe to attend. And it seems to work.
This website and forum would back any other event. Put the flag in the ground and the bikes will come I think.

It was interesting to meet some guys from other clubs at the rally and hear about the internal wranglings and politics of these other groups. Interesting to see how all that gets in the way of what it's all about - the Motorcycles. I'm really starting to think that if we just carry on and let people express themselves through the bikes they build and ride then it has a good chance of lasting. I had several people beam to me that they 'just loved their bikes' and that for me is what it's about. And long may it continue.
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

Some more pics -

http://www.crazyprojects.com/knock09

Hope I'm not being cheeky with the candid pics, just like em more than posed ones. If anyone doesn't like a pic of themselves let me know. Some of them came out good though I think :)

I was thinking a rally in Ireland would be cool, might be a bit expensive for most people though?

Neil
Bangkok to Sydney ???
bambertino
I'm pretty new here..

Post by bambertino »

hi guys
im dave from devon,thoroughly enjoyed big knock weekend,came on my honda 500 gl petrol but learnt a lot and hope to see some of yoiu in germany
regards bambertino
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

What a delight to pull BSH off the newstand today and see their review of The Big Knock. And to think that we're getting coverage of it here in the states. Stuart, didn't you provide them with the pics? Great stuff.

Ron
Ron
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Yes, Ron, I sent them the full size shots and a write up on a CD. Didn't really expect to see it published but great that it was 8) I think there are a few guys from the chopper community taking the whole diesel thing a little more seriously now they see what can be done. But it takes brave men to go against the grain :!: I'm glad some are even contemplating it 8)