Turbo Instalation

Doing stuff with air...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

LocomotiveBreath
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Turbo Instalation

Post by LocomotiveBreath »

Today I did some finishing touches to my Turbo instalation. I had used chromed plumbing P-traps for the turbo to intake tubes. Today I welded up some U-bends so I hought to show those that are interested.

The Turbo really does work, when I went to Death Valley the last time, I was able to pull the grades 10-15mph faster than before. Notice, the Turbo is also water cooled, I decided to run my fuel thru the Turbo prior to the fuel pump, thus preheating it. This has worked great and I've loaded the engine on 17 mile 5-7% grades, no overheating of either oil, engine, or fuel.

Stuart, Feel free to use the pictures on the web, maybe replace the out of focus picture of my Honda :D

Dave
Attachments
Hnda Turbo 2
Hnda Turbo 2
Honda Turbo 1
Honda Turbo 1
Turbo Honda
Turbo Honda
Last edited by LocomotiveBreath on Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave, and keep on thinking free. "Moody Blues"
dieselbikin

Re: Turbo Instalation

Post by dieselbikin »

Wow, that's cool!
Where did the solo seat come from? Harley?
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Dave,

Can I pick your brains a little?

You have plumbed in the turbo quite a distance from the exhaust headers, was this deliberate? The theory is the further away you get the cooler it runs but you loose turbine spool up as the gas velocity drops.

Do you run any sort of plenum chamber or large pipe to the intake to store charge from the turbo? I say this because of the uneven firing sequence of the 180 twin, so one cylinder will get full benefit and the second slightly less pressure. Honda CX turbo's used a huge chamber to overcome this problem.

I'm considering using an old motorcycle radiator as an intercooler to add volume to the intake for a single cylinder.

Oil feed; did you put a restrictor in the line to maintain system pressure, I was thinking of a 1mm restrictor downline of the turbo itself just before returning to the sump.

Cheers
Dave
LocomotiveBreath

dieselbikin wrote:Wow, that's cool!
Yes, the seat is the the standard Police seat from a Harley, found on ebay for $49.

Now for Diesel Daves questions.

Feel free to pick.

Maybe I've confused you. I'm thinking your looking at the intake and confusing it with the exhaust. The Turbine is plumbed as close to the exhaust as possible retaining as much heat as possible.

For the oil feed, I just drilled and brazed a oil feed line off the bottom of the oil pressure sender block located on #2 cylinder feeding valve train. The oil drain has NO restriction, you need to let all the oil drain or oil pressure would push oil past the turbine bearings and into either the intake or the exhaust side of the turbocharger.

As for your use of a radiator for an intercooler, in this situation, it would be fine as long as the radiator is clean and you keep boost lower than the burst capacity of the radiator (heat exchanger). But I think anything over 6-12psi boost, get an intercooler designed for your application. I'm seeing full boogy diesel boosts on compound turbocharger setups making 130-170lbs plus boost pressure. This turbo has a waste gate set at 6-7lbs boost.
Attachments
Image011.jpg
Image015.jpg
“Face piles and piles of trials with smiles. It riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave, and keep on thinking free. "Moody Blues"
roodesign
Been here a while now..

Post by roodesign »

could you please explain...fuel through the turbo...in place of the water?

thanks, Roo
roo trimble
http://www.roopod.com
Shutesbury, MA USA
LocomotiveBreath

dieselbikin wrote:Wow, that's cool!
Here, check this out on ebay, #360147252627

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... &viewitem=
LocomotiveBreath

roodesign wrote:could you please explain...fuel through the turbo...in place of the water?

thanks, Roo
Just common sense to me, I don't have a water system to incorporate water cooling, but I do have fuel available and kept cycling via injection pump return.

Water boils way sooner than fuel oils (even under pressure), water also causes steam pockets. What do we use to cool transformers? In large Diesels running on bunker oil, fuel is first run through a boiler/heat exchangers first.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/fuels ... d_936.html
roodesign
Been here a while now..

Post by roodesign »

This is interesting...have you tried preheating SVO with that setup....would heat up a lot quicker than a coolant heated setup...I would guess...plus heat the fuel in the tank...no sign of the fuel getting too hot and forming deposits in the turbo? I am designing my vehicle (maybe you checked out the website roopod.com) to be able to run SVO or b100 all year round(in New England)...and the goal is to run fossil diesel for as short a time as possible to pre-heat the svo or biodiesel....(you probably know all this...) please keep me informed how it's working over time!

thanks

Roo Trimble
roo trimble
http://www.roopod.com
Shutesbury, MA USA
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Roo, you can run all year round with a preheated setup, if you don't turn off the engine. Otherwise you need to remedy the start procedure as well. Also, I'm guessing that below a certain temperature, preheating won't save you. Someone posted a shot of a grim looking thermometer, in the -40's Celsius I think. That might be asking too much 8)
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
LocomotiveBreath

SVO? I think I've heard that phrase.

A picture of Pete and I before Pete drove to almost every Capital before arriving in DC running on Veggi oil in 2004. I supplied 200 gallons of Walnut oil.

Pete passed away 2007.
Attachments
Picture 001.jpg
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

Is the flash point of diesel not quite low?

Just found this -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point

Though the boiling point is a good bit higher than water. I don't know what the implications are. Interesting as I run the car on Veg (flash point 300oC) and always wondered if running diesel through the heater (set to 80oC) would be dodgy.

Turbo setup looks great!

N
Smart engined 800cc turbo diesel triumph tiger. 100mpg (imp)
Belfast to Kathmandu overland, 2010/2011 - http://www.suckindiesel.com
Bangkok to Sydney ???
mgraeme
I'm pretty new here..

Post by mgraeme »

I just have to ask: Is your primary drive a simple centrifugal clutch? Is there any kind of CVT or is it just single speed?
LocomotiveBreath

mgraeme wrote:I just have to ask: Is your primary drive a simple centrifugal clutch? Is there any kind of CVT or is it just single speed?
Yes, just a simple expensive centrifugal clutch, one speed. It's for sale, along with the engine. I finally bought a Ultima 6 speed with a matching belt drive.
mgraeme
I'm pretty new here..

Post by mgraeme »

That should work great if any of Heiko's projects are any indication. :-)
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

Ultima box yes, turbo not so much.
mgraeme wrote:That should work great if any of Heiko's projects are any indication. :-)
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.