bike / frame to use and motor feedback

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

stonemonkey
Been here a while now..

bike / frame to use and motor feedback

Post by stonemonkey »

Some people have said that a harley frame is good to use, except that I can never find a rolling chassis thats within my price range. What do people think of using a Yamaha xvs250 (maybe 650 for more space). In Australia it would be much easier to find one of these cheap 2nd hand or at the wreckers.

There are also the suzuki, honda and kawasaki cruiser bikes which are all similar to the yamaha. I basically want to avoid having to rebuild the frame.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/motor/in ... ?motor.asp

I was thinking of using a lombardini engine. 16hp

http://www.lombardinigroup.it/starter.php?lang=2

Unfortunately with current australian legislation as a provisional motorcycle rider I cant go over 660cc.

I figure if some people can get 90 - 100km/hr with a 10hp yanmar/hatz, then 110 - 120 should be possible with 16hp
stonemonkey
Been here a while now..

Post by stonemonkey »

just realized that the links dont go directly to the pages.

The yamaha is the xvs250 (or 650) in the cruiser section, and the lombardini is the air cooled 25 LD330-2
andrewaust
Site Admin

Post by andrewaust »

Hi Stonemonkey

Remember the XVS 650 is shaft drive, I once owned a 650 classic, a lot of mods would be needed to put a diesel in one, the 250 is to small for a V-twin (unless stretched), a 10hp with a CVT might fit. Depending what state you live in Australia, pollution rules came in around 95 which requires re-testing if another power plant of a different type is used. I've posted heaps of stuff on previous posts if you would like to have a read.

With the above said, anything can be achieved if you have the finances I guess. Like you said Harley frames/rolling chassis are way to expensive for many "including me" so alternatives have to be found.

I don't know where/who made up all the red tape and ridiculous rules in OZ, I'd wish they'd re-think some of them. We miss out on many bikes coming to the shores here due to these rules.

;)
stonemonkey
Been here a while now..

Post by stonemonkey »

The only reason I want to try and build a diesel bike is so I can run it on biodiesel. Im hoping that using b20 (which you can buy at the pump here in Queensland) will give me an advantage when it comes to the emissions test.

Thanks for the heads up on the 650, you cant see the shaft from the photos on the net. Maybe some of the larger cc cruisers from honda etc are chain drive.

I was guessing that I would have to replace the gearbox anyway, as it looks like most of them are directly attached to the engine casing.

I was thinking of using a harley gearbox...there is one specifically designed for high torque engines (forget the name).

Been thinking long and hard about a cvt, and may still end up using one.......but there is something about changing gears which is just part of the motorcycle experience. But I guess I will use whatever gets me going the fastest and hardest.

Australia is pretty conservative when it comes to cars/motorcycles. I have lived in a few countries, and Australia really is the most restrictive.
taildraggin
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by taildraggin »

You might want to take a look at the RuggerField. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUc5xJdmIg8)

It has the bigger twin (same or similar to the Lombardini) in the Enfield, which should be cheap and available down under(?). The separate gearbox (and looks) are the main advantages. I think the RuggerField is one of the best looking diesel bikes.

- Charlie