Australian registration issues

Insurance & Registration issues etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

stonemonkey
Been here a while now..

Australian registration issues

Post by stonemonkey »

I was wondering if anybody could give me the skinny on registering diesel bikes in Oz. My current situation is that I am limited to the 250cc petrol class of motorbike.

my thoughts are that the performance of a 400 to 800cc diesel is fairly equivalent to a 250cc petrol in terms of speed etc. so I see no reason why I couldnt convert a bike and still be able to ride it with my class of license. But the government often doesnt make sense. Does anybody have any details?

cheers
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

I'm sure Andrew will gen you up on this side of things when he's next on the boards 8)
andrewaust
Site Admin

Post by andrewaust »

Hi stonemonkey

Here's the goss if your in NSW! Converting a new bike to diesel is just about impossible, keep the frame/bike to around a 95 model to avoid stringent pollution laws.

Power to weight, you should be able to get away with a 500cc (or more) conversion, in NSW they have learner legal petrol bikes to a capacity of 650cc for some. I know my XVS650 was learner legal.

This depends on where you live in OZ! Turbo engines would be a nightmare to get past emissions etc.

First line of defense would be contacting your state motor registry and taking it from there.

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers

Andrew :)