Direct belt drive

Clutches, Chain & Belt Drives

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Paradox1559
Been here a while now..

Direct belt drive

Post by Paradox1559 »

I've been toying around quite a bit with minibikes, and farm equipment. I find myself constantly amazed by belt tensioner clutch drives. Has anyone tried a dual belt system tied into a jackshaft? I'm going to be trying it regardless, it's incredibly simple, and adaptable. It might even be slightly dangerous.
sbrumby
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Direct belt drive

Post by sbrumby »

Hi I have a big lawnmower that is a walk behind, this has a double rotor blades and gearbox 4 gears + reverse. this has a clutch which is single V belt and jocky pulley. this mower is very powerful and will pull a trailer with me on it + 1/2 ton of sand. Just a point to remember the belt is a cotton covered V belt. This I presume makes it easy to slip when the tension is released. Another point to think about is engine braking, when wheel drives engine all the force is then on the jocky pulley.
Sam
pietenpol2002
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by pietenpol2002 »

-
My first "bike" used a belt tensioner for a clutch. At age 14 my twin brother and I stick welded an engine mount to a 20 bicycle frame. Worked like a charm. And we were happy boys.

-
Ron
Paradox1559
Been here a while now..

Post by Paradox1559 »

Well, I just need to mount my motor into my frame and I can get started with my "transmission". My bike should be moving within a month.
Jonny
I'm pretty new here..

Post by Jonny »

Hi Paradox, did you build the bike yet? I am planning one with the same drive, if you have any tips on what to do (or not!) please feel free to pass them on.... Also anybody else who has hopefully helpful ideas about this....if there's anyone still using this forum....? Why has it gone so quiet in here.... ?