Diesel Bike Diary

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Tetronator
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Diesel Bike Diary

Post by Tetronator »

# 15 - The Build.
Date: 16-1-2017

Another year, but this time I'm going to finish the darned bike...

As promised, I give you!...

...THE FINAL DRIVE!...

Including!...

Transmission damper...

..and an properly located universal joint!

Slightly modified pinion gear...

Good bye exploding hockey pucks! It might be an tight fit tough...

Also, something about diesels having a lot of...

...TORQUE... :twisted:

That'll be it for now. Next up, partial assembly!
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan
mark_in_manchester

Post by mark_in_manchester »

Wow, that's a lot of work gone into that. Does the shock absorber also act as the second UJ, and will it take up the non-uniform velocity-per-rev of the other UJ like the 'exploding hockey puck' (I like it) does on the standard setup?

I've only killed one puck in about 2000 miles, and that was in reverse with no passenger foot pegs (which also limit downwards swing arm displacement, when you're in reverse, it turns out) fitted. But your solution looks very nicely made. How did you break it?

I've not done much to mine lately - I have a weep on (I think) one of the injector return lines. But I'm tied up making a leading link front end for my std Ural M63, which is hopefully taking me and kids (in sidecar) around eastern Europe next summer.

cheers
Mark
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

mark_in_manchester wrote:Wow, that's a lot of work gone into that.
It was an ridiculous amount of work, next time I'm using chain drive.
mark_in_manchester wrote:Does the shock absorber also act as the second UJ, and will it take up the non-uniform velocity-per-rev of the other UJ like the 'exploding hockey puck' (I like it) does on the standard setup?
No, it's an straight shaft into the pinion gear. It is just meant to take up any shocks in the drive train, like the hockey puck. It is centered by moving the whole engine and transmission unit around.
mark_in_manchester wrote:I've only killed one puck in about 2000 miles, and that was in reverse with no passenger foot pegs (which also limit downwards swing arm displacement, when you're in reverse, it turns out) fitted. But your solution looks very nicely made.
I've seen the hockey puck explode on various occasions all-ready, I almost got knocked in the head by drive train parts last time.
mark_in_manchester wrote:How did you break it?
Sudden application of torque in the wrong direction.
mark_in_manchester wrote:I've not done much to mine lately - I have a weep on (I think) one of the injector return lines. But I'm tied up making a leading link front end for my std Ural M63, which is hopefully taking me and kids (in sidecar) around eastern Europe next summer.
Why not make the leading link for the diesel and take that around Europe? :D

Honda VT600 C Shadow
mark_in_manchester

Post by mark_in_manchester »

I could do that, but I am put off by the prospects of buying obsolete Daihatsu parts in Poland-Ukraine-Romania, as opposed to std Ural / Dnepr bits. And the thought of getting the diesel into the van to take it to Poland to start off with - the weight of it!

As I understand it, a UJ with a shaft going into it at steady rpm will (of course) _average_ that rpm on the 'out' side - but the angular velocity is not constant over one rev. Again, as I understand it this is partly why one often sees two back-to-back - as well as the necessity to align the FD and gearbox. But yours works OK with just one?
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

mark_in_manchester wrote:I could do that, but I am put off by the prospects of buying obsolete Daihatsu parts in Poland-Ukraine-Romania, as opposed to std Ural / Dnepr bits. And the thought of getting the diesel into the van to take it to Poland to start off with - the weight of it!
I doubt you'll need to find parts for the Daihatsu. Why not just ride it there? It has wheels, right? :mrgreen:
mark_in_manchester wrote:As I understand it, a UJ with a shaft going into it at steady rpm will (of course) _average_ that rpm on the 'out' side - but the angular velocity is not constant over one rev. Again, as I understand it this is partly why one often sees two back-to-back - as well as the necessity to align the FD and gearbox. But yours works OK with just one?
It should, millions of Japanese motorcycles with drive shafts have it like this. Including the one I took the UJ out of.

Honda VT600 C Shadow
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

# 16 - The Build.
Date: 23-4-2017

Well, I did partially assemble it, but I forgot to take pictures. And due to stuff I haven't been able to make as much progress as I liked to, but some has been made.

To start the list: I purchased some Radiators, figured it be best for front wheel clearance to mount them on the sides.

Next up: I worked out clearances for an special intake manifold to match the exhaust.

One needs a place to sit, but not any old seat will do for my bike.

This thing is gonna be really heavy, those old drum brake were always going to an issue... ...time to address that. :twisted:

Put the first coat of paint onto the engine as it was starting to rust, might change the colour.

And last but not least, I've ordered an new spline hub as my old one was worn out.

Of course this needed precision fit bolts due to this being the most stressed part of the bike. Ready for aligning and wear in with some lapping compound.

I've also disassembled the gearbox for refurbishing and changing of ratio's, more on this later.

That's all I can think of at the moment, more to come!

Honda VT600 C Shadow
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

-

Good to see the work progressing. Always fun to see how someone else puzzles things out.

The radiators on this .66L Yanmar would appear very similar to your layout. Could almost be confused for the original Ural leg guards. Be sure to have the sound turned up for the rooster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQqdRuRHBNQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBPoBSw_9n8
Ron
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Yep, very similar, but those are intercoolers... ...without an turbo... ...hmm...

You've spotted my idea for leg guards, but mine are heated. :mrgreen:

Honda VT600 C Shadow
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Right-o, fixed the snafu with photobucket on my main post, I might fix the other ones aswell.

I'm not deleting anything on Photobucket because that would actually help them. :)
I'm sure they won't miss the hard drive space with all the money they're raking in now.

Honda VT600 C Shadow
Eddy Wane

Post by Eddy Wane »

Maybe it's me but I do not see any Photobucket pictures. There is just a notification picture to update my details.
Building the bike. Top of my list, bottom of the wife's.
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

I am not very techy , but if you have a photo on your computer why not transfer it to the website. Using a third party to transfer photos renders the post useless when there is a problem with that site.
Sam
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Eddy Wane wrote:Maybe it's me but I do not see any Photobucket pictures. There is just a notification picture to update my details.
All the pictures in my tread opening post, (https://www.dieselbikeforum.com/view ... ff2#p20100), have been re-uploaded somewhere else that is not photobucket, thus making them viewable once more.
The other normal posts haven't been updated, (yet).
sbrumby wrote:I am not very techy , but if you have a photo on your computer why not transfer it to the website. Using a third party to transfer photos renders the post useless when there is a problem with that site.
Very true, but I've got three counter arguments.

-Bandwidth usage for this site will increase a lot.
-I'll have to upload each picture one by one manually and replace them in the post. (A lot of work)
-Easier to recover post in case of major FUBAR, like what happened with Photobucket.

Honda VT600 C Shadow
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Tetronator wrote:....
sbrumby wrote:I am not very techy , but if you have a photo on your computer why not transfer it to the website. Using a third party to transfer photos renders the post useless when there is a problem with that site.

True... but what is wrong with supporting a site like this for providing content your interested in.
-I'll have to upload each picture one by one manually and replace them in the post. (A lot of work)
True.... but it twas your choice to use a hosting site in the first place that caused all this work for you. Downloading them here in the first place and you would not be in this situation
-Easier to recover post in case of major FUBAR, like what happened with Photobucket.
Very NOT true. If there is a problem on a bulletin board where you downloaded your pics..... it would be the Admin. who is doing all the fixing. It would be a real PITA for the admin to get things all lined up again.... but his work would line up EVERYONE's pics that got discombobulated as result of his hard work.

Moving your pics to another hosting site... just guarantees that in 5 to 10 years that you will be repeating this process. (IF YOUR STILL AROUND!!!) Hate to say this..... but we all die. (unexpected health issues, accidents etc.) Who will maintain your pic hosting page after that??? You can support Up and Comers (or historians) for potentially 100years NOW by downloading into Archives.... you can't help them from beyond your grave.

Have been active as a moderator for sites like this for nearly 20 years.... and active B.Board user for nearly 30 years...... have seen this near exact scenario of pic host sites changing or shutting down over and over and over. YET, have NEVER seen an active Bulletin Board loose users pics... EVER. Sure some boards have CLOSED/Shutdown.... and everything is (sorta) then lost. It happens..... just like libraries occasionally burn down. Sad. BUT Only saw this ONCE and have seen pic hosting sites have issues at least 4 times The one bulleting board/website I know that close was an E-magazine which I was a journalist for. Few years later...... found it was all backed up on Google Backups. Was able to download it all thankfully. My original copies were lost in a hard dive crash
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

Too much information, I am sure you are more techy than me, but if you take a picture its you that has it, giving it to someone else makes no sense to me. Computer memory is so cheap it is easier to buy more than delete. Feel free to put me right if I am wrong but try not to make it a saga as I am dyslexic and takes an age to digest.
Sam
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

coachgeo wrote:
Tetronator wrote:....

True... but what is wrong with supporting a site like this for providing content your interested in.
Ah, I meant it as a "bad" thing, as it will increase the network bandwidth cost for the people providing it. Bytes cost money type deal.
coachgeo wrote:
True.... but it twas your choice to use a hosting site in the first place that caused all this work for you. Downloading them here in the first place and you would not be in this situation
Yep, if only it was easier for me too bulk upload images and replace the img URLS. I might actually still do that, provided it becomes easier.
coachgeo wrote:
Very NOT true. If there is a problem on a bulletin board where you downloaded your pics..... it would be the Admin. who is doing all the fixing. It would be a real PITA for the admin to get things all lined up again.... but his work would line up EVERYONE's pics that got discombobulated as result of his hard work.

Moving your pics to another hosting site... just guarantees that in 5 to 10 years that you will be repeating this process. (IF YOUR STILL AROUND!!!) Hate to say this..... but we all die. (unexpected health issues, accidents etc.) Who will maintain your pic hosting page after that??? You can support Up and Comers (or historians) for potentially 100years NOW by downloading into Archives.... you can't help them from beyond your grave.

Have been active as a moderator for sites like this for nearly 20 years.... and active B.Board user for nearly 30 years...... have seen this near exact scenario of pic host sites changing or shutting down over and over and over. YET, have NEVER seen an active Bulletin Board loose users pics... EVER. Sure some boards have CLOSED/Shutdown.... and everything is (sorta) then lost. It happens..... just like libraries occasionally burn down. Sad. BUT Only saw this ONCE and have seen pic hosting sites have issues at least 4 times The one bulleting board/website I know that close was an E-magazine which I was a journalist for. Few years later...... found it was all backed up on Google Backups. Was able to download it all thankfully. My original copies were lost in a hard dive crash
I've actually got redundancies in place for that occasion... But lets hope they're not needed. :)

If an better solution rears its head, I'll most likely support it. Once my build is done I'll make an proper write up and see if we can host it on the main page/separate website. (With proper back-ups)
sbrumby wrote:Too much information, I am sure you are more techy than me, but if you take a picture its you that has it, giving it to someone else makes no sense to me. Computer memory is so cheap it is easier to buy more than delete. Feel free to put me right if I am wrong but try not to make it a saga as I am dyslexic and takes an age to digest.
That's all right, I've still got all the pictures myself on my hard drive and backed-up. Its just that the image upload system on this is clunky and hard to do if you've got to replace 190+ pictures. :)

Honda VT600 C Shadow
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Hello all, quick update. The build isn't dead, as some might've tougth. Due to various reasons I've been neglecting/not been able to keep this thread as well updated as I should have, my apologies.

Here's a sneak peak of where to build is at at the moment.
IMG-20181018-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20181018-WA0010.jpg
Currently I am waiting on part for the frontfork and transmission, once those are done I can continue the build.

Honda VT600 C Shadow
Jeronimo
I don't post much...

Post by Jeronimo »

Looks like you are on the path to one of the nicer, and very squared-away looking "Frankendiesel" creations here. Bravo.
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Thank you Jeronimo, one can only try.

I have not been sitting still. The past few weeks I have been sorting out the electronics and making more progress on the Forks and Gearbox.
Hopefully soon starting on the cooling system.

Honda VT600 C Shadow