Possible Club names

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

pietenpol2002
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by pietenpol2002 »

My son and I have named our project bike "BOB" which is an acronym for Bean Oil Burner. However, it lends itself better to naming an individual bike as opposed to a club name.

Ron
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

I still like the 'DOG' MC one the best :D I can picture a patch with a crafty/cunning old dog fox riding along on his bike, a big satisfied grin on his face because of how little it's costing him :D When we'd ride out it would be as a 'Pack of DOG's'.
I can't imagine myself with a tortoise patch, no matter how good the idea is. "Look :!:" An interested spectator might say," There goes a herd (flock?) of Tortoise's". Nah :wink:
Cockney Bob

Name

Post by Cockney Bob »

A group of tortoises is called a bale and that can work on several levels as I sometimes get baleful when My bike plays up.
Bob
It is not in the arrival brightly planned. But in the Dreams Men Dream along the way we find the Golden road to Samarkand.
Dragon
I don't post much...

Post by Dragon »

Hi Stuart
great idea ..this will cause some head scratching I am sure..I thought of this one...the" oily clankers club."
hope to see you all on saturday.. and that the weather improves.
regards Dragon
Dragon
oilburner

Post by oilburner »

Cockney Bob

DOG

Post by Cockney Bob »

Good artwork looks like we have a name and a logo then
Bob
It is not in the arrival brightly planned. But in the Dreams Men Dream along the way we find the Golden road to Samarkand.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Hey, very good Avery :!: Did you draw that yourself? I was looking at some books on how to draw a dog but kinda gave up. I did draw a motorcycle coming diagonally along but only in pencil so far. As it happens there was a nice picture of a dog in the paper today, right angle and everything. Maybe I could superimpose that on my effort? lol.
And the flag, great for me but you? :D The Bulldog is a mean looking beast eh? The way to go I think 8)
Diesel Graham
Been here a while now..

Post by Diesel Graham »

Could also be the under 60's club (as in mph)
or "0-60 whenever!"
Enfield Taurus Greaves - running well now!
Lohmann 18cc - undergoing restoration
SANGLASMICK
I'm pretty new here..

Club name

Post by SANGLASMICK »

How about The DERVils own" (DERV:- Diesel Engined Road Vehicle).
Maybe pushing it a bit! Like the Logo though maybe a bit more international given the broad spread of countries represented in the Forum. 8)
Dan J

Another suggestion

Post by Dan J »

I'm inclined to think the De Lorean Motor Company will not be suing :)
Last edited by Dan J on Wed May 28, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnfireball

Post by johnfireball »

Hi,
nice logo with the dog. How about a choice of backing flag for us foreigners?
John.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

I know there were a few of us jokingly refering to ourselves as DOG's in the pub at the rally :D but not everyone was keen. Jury still out there maybe or time for a vote on the options?
Anyway..... John suggested a good motto for the club while we were talking over a drink.

"Per cogo, non per mico". Closest translation is "By compression, not by spark".

I don't know about you but I thought that was pretty good.
Last edited by Stuart on Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
oilburner

Post by oilburner »

Sparkless Motorcycle Owners Group

Hmmm, maybe not politically correct these days..... :lol:
oilburner

Post by oilburner »

I think we should keep our thinking hats on for a while yet. Eventually the right name will pop up. "DOG", which was part of my first post for name suggestions, is probably not a good choice since it does not contain a reference to motorcycle or motor bike. As an aside, there are mountain bikes with the name "diesel", so adding the word bike might not be sufficient either. Dan J's suggestion of DMC with a catchy graphic is my choice from the suggestions thus far.

My $.02 CDN.

PS Read about the rally with envy... guess we've got to get the North America rally going.
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

I agree with oilburner my choise would be DMC and as the most famous thing about the De Lorean was it was used in the ( Back to the future ) movies, back to the future is what we are about as old Rudolf invented it a long time ago & it is only now we are begining to be taken seriously.
Sam
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Apologies for stating this thread up again but...
I'm wondering if we could come to a conclusion on this so that perhaps I could get some patches run off or something in time? I think it's getting to the point where we band of 'Desperados' could atleast be strung togther by a common 'Patch' even if the admin side of things would be minimal.
These things can all too easily get political and I think it would be wrong, at this stage of the game anyway, to be fractious. To that degree I'm prepared to support the DMC tag. It doesn't quite put a smile on my face like the 'DOG' tag did, (there we go again :!: ) but it's straight to the point and solid sounding I think. Something for the future.
Any ideas of how to put it to a vote? Guess we could do it on the thread in public or I could accept them by PM?
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
oldbmw

Post by oldbmw »

Post deleted by request, apparently in my innocence i used a non PC term for a badge :(
Last edited by oldbmw on Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Larry
oilburner

Post by oilburner »

On a related note, I suspect most of us have "been there, done that" with clubs and organizations. In my opinion, especially in the internet age, a virtual club is the way to go. There are no dues, and everyone is a "president". A successful one that comes to mind is the IBMWR, Internet BMW Riders which has been around since 1992 and has about 1500 subscribers to its forum. There is a website, with event listings, tech articles, a market place etc. and goodies such as T-Shirts, pins, patches, decals, etc. Perhaps some ideas can be gotten from their site.

http://ibmwr.org/

Regarding a patch. From experience with a vintage m/c club, the simplest way is for one or two members to purchase the patches and make them available for sale for cost plus a small markup which can be used to pay for the web servers, etc.

The main idea is to minimize the effort of running the club so that it mostly runs itself. Otherwise the volunteers will suffer burnout and the club will eventually fold.

My $.02
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Avery, I think that's the way to go mate. Keep it simple. Personally I like the idea of sporting a patch of some kind. Always good when you meet up :D
Cockney Bob

Name

Post by Cockney Bob »

We need the T shirts I have my Lonely Bob one for the Enfield club and I have my I love the smell of Diesel in the morning but we need some for the club we exclusive band of Bikers.
Bob
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

Hi guys, I'm sure the name DMC is in use, also there is a difference between mc and mcc.
The name Dogs riders club (Dogsrc) is in existence, but I can find no results for dogsmc or dogsmcc.
I like the name Dogs or Oilers-mcc / Oilers-rc, as there is loads of scope for pictures for tee shirts and club logos etc, where as dmc is a failed sports car connected with scandal.
Are we talking tee shirts or jacket logos?
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Yeah, Palace15 just told me that if we go the MC route we're gonna be outlaws. But I've seen other clubs use that.
Would like to get some patches made to start with but I've not got the time of late. Give it time, we'll see 8)
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

It would have to be side patches as back patches have been banned. :(
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Banned? By who and where? That's like a red rag mate! lol
Cockney Bob

banned

Post by Cockney Bob »

I think you might get a lot of hairy arsed Hells angels up your bum if you wear one Stuart.
Bob
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

lol, T shirts and arm patches it is then :) Bet the HOG lot don't get that kinda hassle. There again, I guess they just get laughed at.
Last edited by Stuart on Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

Here is a very informative site on this kind of stuff.
http://www.ukbikeforum.com/html/bike_clubs.shtml

Note front and side patches would be fine for a mcc club
Last edited by Anorak_ian on Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Cheers Mate, very informative 8)

.......Well reading that I can see there's faint hope of keeping politics out of any club, lol.
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

Politics in clubs are rife. I used to be a diving officer of a scuba club and there was more politics than diving.
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

Just a few points, are you talking about a name for a British club or are you thinking bigger? I have just got back from the VJMC rally at Uttoxeter ,68 clubs displaying, some clubs had their own marquee, the goldstar club celebrating 50 years had 50 bikes, the RD aircooled club had a band last night in their marquee. I on the other hand was the only diesel there. So my point is this if you are only talking Bat and Ball once a year you can pick any name it wont matter as 20 enfields and 20 spectaters once a year wont be worth sewing anything on.
Sam