CVT Behavior right or not?

Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

CVT Behavior right or not?

Post by coachgeo »

having problems with my KLR diesel.

Roll the bike only inches and the cvt locks in and no longer can roll bike unless strong enough to overcome engine compression. (which I am not) Would think could roll it without engine running.... or am I wrong?
Bert in Weesp
Been here a while now..

Re: CVT Behavior right or not?

Post by Bert in Weesp »

I'm not familiar to your bike but having a Track T800 CDI myself with CVT, I know that In my system ( originating from snowmobiles ) there is a one way bearing that for the use in my bike is removed ( only the "one way part, not the bearing ) to prevent just that problem.
Mentioned bearing is the one that my belt can "lean" on when not caught by both primary discs.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

what your referring to is a bearing between the sheaves on pulley attached to the crankshaft correct?
Bert in Weesp
Been here a while now..

Post by Bert in Weesp »

Yep.

I add a link to a video that describes my primary quite well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu1wHxevyOQ
The bearing I referred to is described in the first minute of the video. In the Track the mentioned fingers are removed to make of the 1-way bearing a 2-way bearing so I can very easily roll the bike forward or backwards.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

This is a comet 40.. just checked with fingers... there is no one way bearing on the engine cvt pulley/clutch.

Now I did change out rear tire just before trying to ride again in July. Did a remove wheel.... new tire installed on rim... replace well weeks later... could I have fubared something in this RR?? something out of order or too tight? now that think about it.... when I discovered it flat.. I had to push it a few times so could push it then.... hmmm.. must be something I did with re-install of rim/tire. hmmm

There is a lot of play on the back pulley/clutch (comet 44) as in it can move on the jackshaft a smidge... but this is probably unrelated to not being able to roll the bike but may be result or cause of jerking on take off. though Have read this is common issue?
BertTrack

Post by BertTrack »

If the belt doesn't sit on the axle of the primary c.v.t. then it may be too long, or the primairy sheaves may not open enough.
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

Have you tried lifting the bike on the center stand or on a lift of some sort so that the rear wheel is clear of the ground and start the engine and see what happens?
It may be something is jamming the front pulley closed a little eg weights/sliders and it may clear after running??
If it doesn't I would be stripping the front pulley for a look.
You could always take the belt off and make sure everything at the rear end is free to move?