Diesel KLR 650 running video

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Diesel KLR 650 running video

Post by coachgeo »

I found a solenoid and ordered it. 20 bucks. Sweet.

Seller very helpful. By his description I'm now thinking Solenoid is OK. Think I FUBARed something. Not sure yet.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

She's back to running. Not all buttoned up yet. Ran out of time.

Pardon the Puns below.

Ok so here is the story. Though was not sure would need him...... I got Boris* set to help me figure this out about a week ago. If anyone could help me scope it out it would be Boris. Today he and I investigated what I thought .... could... be the problem. As mentioned earlier but now with more detail..... there is a slide rack on the IP with a knob on it. This knob fits into the governor fork inside the engine. There is this cute little window on the IP to help one see if these are aligned when assembling iffffffffffff engine was on a stand and nothing was blocking your view. Well on the bike EVERYTHING is blocking the view. On first install of newish IP I spent hours trying to stuff my phone in there and video the area. Phone smaller than my head so it was worth a try. No go..... gave up. So did it by feel and guesstimation and was fairly confident I got it right.

When it would not pump fuel...... part of me doubted the success of the guesstimation..... thus the call for Boris. Looked at things close with help of Boris (his head is tiny and bright) and sure enough; fork was not aligned with rack knob. So seems it would not pump fuel cause rack was completely closed. Disassembled again, to check make sure I bent nothing. Then reinstalled... took few hours of Boris looking and me fiddling to finally get things aligned and bolted back down.. Tor gasket on the window. Will have to deal with that later. For now..... all the Air bled out. Engine started ........

Lot of smoke at first..... but is cause of diesel and Transmission fluid film in the cylinder (I think). You might recall I had soaked the engine in this mix for a week a while back. The nailing when running that I had before was gone least up too about 1500rpm. Did not test ride. Once she was fairly warm... re-drained the oil as planned and put in fresh oil again. Cleaned oil screen good. About as far as I got. Had to take care of one other project before dinner that was a MUST do today. Maybe Monday I can get little more done? Probably not cause Tue. am expecting rain from Irma remnants.

* Boris = Bores Cope Aka Bore Scope ... one purchased is labeled an endoscope... but using that as a pun would go places..... we don't want to go (pun intended) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3 ... UTF8&psc=1

OHHHHH and you guys.. if you need YanClone diesel engine parts.. this is your go to guy. He has been INSTRUMENTAL and amazingly helpful. http://stores.ebay.com/generatorpartsworld/
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Bit COLD but commuted to work on bike today after finishing up the wiring yesterday and doing a test ride. Before I had a BUCKING at take off that I was attributing to a loose chain. During this maintenance time I check chain and it was in spec. to KLR..... though spec. may not be accurate with this engine transplant. Left it as is. Well, apparently that bucking was from a not smooth running engine cause that is now completely gone.

The little LED light showing power is getting to solenoid is working perfect. To make this an easy install I used a light that was made to replace a mount for a licence plate. It is meant to work as one of a pair of "night time plate lights". Instead I mounted it on the Grill that surrounds the rear brake reservoir where I can peak at it easy if needed. Installed it really for "in the field electrical diagnosis of the fuel shut off solenoid". It is in parallel with the power to the Solenoid. If the light is out then I have no power to the solenoid which would indicate electrical issue prior to the light is why bike wont start or run. If light is on.... but the fuse holder is illuminated (it will glow only if fuse is blown) then the I know blown fuse is the culprit. If all that is good then I can move on to looking if it is Fuel or Air issue. Figured I would not be carting around a test light on any Bike rides so thought it wise to sorta just wire in a test light into this circuit.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

well... I musta done a shiat job winterizing..... cause having all kinda troubles getting her going for summer. Lot of smoke.... intermittent power, flat tire (fixed) CVT locking up.... grrrr.... very sad. Hate not having a garage of any kind. She was under a bike cover all winter.
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

See if you got the diesel bug in your tank/fuelsystem. (It's what happened to my Benz).
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

drained tank, replaced fuel... replaced fuel filter. battery charging.. will report back
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Did you blow out the fuel lines as well? Also use some biocide, I find that old engine oil works great.

Make sure to thoroughly clean them with brake cleaner or something and then blow compressed air trough them.
Or the bug will come back.
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan