Dutch vehicle registration experiences (RDW)

Insurance & Registration issues etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Tetronator
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Dutch vehicle registration experiences (RDW)

Post by Tetronator »

Hey guys!

This question is mostly aimed at the dutch diesel bike builders here, but if you have any input please share it.
Whats your experience with the dutch vehicle registration office (RDW)? (Thats like the TÜV in germany I believe, correct me if I'm wrong.)

What are the things they want to see from you if you build a completely new frame or if you modify an existing bike frame to fit an diesel engine?
What are the costs of such things? Is it easier if you keep the frame as is and just try to fit a diesel engine in it without chopping it up?

I have generally no idea what it takes to rigister an custom bike, so if you can share your story I would much appreciate it.
It will probably have an influence on how I will build my bike.

Currently thinking of using an old Dnepr/Ural/Moto Guzzi scrapper and fitting an engine that will take it up to at least 140 km/h, would be nice if it could do it with a sidecar attached. (Winter riding ahoy! :twisted: )

(I tried figuring it out using the information supplied via thier webpage, but you know how that goes...)
http://wetten.overheid.nl/BWBR0025798/H ... /Artikel64
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan
Nanko

Re: Dutch vehicle registration experiences (RDW)

Post by Nanko »

There are two routes you can go.
A)Existing frame , stretched max 6 cm
B)Custom made frame.
For the first option you can go to a local RDW keuringsstation , a 20 minutes test, costs 80 EUR , The second option is TestCentrumLelystad with an extensive test which takes 2 hours and costs 400 EUR
If you choose option A the bike will keep its original registration numbers (no roadtax when the the bike is > 40 years)
peugeot TUD5 - MOTO GUZZI 16.500 km so far
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Nanko wrote:There are two routes you can go.
A)Existing frame , stretched max 6 cm
B)Custom made frame.
For the first option you can go to a local RDW keuringsstation , a 20 minutes test, costs 80 EUR , The second option is TestCentrumLelystad with an extensive test which takes 2 hours and costs 400 EUR
If you choose option A the bike will keep its original registration numbers (no roadtax when the the bike is > 40 years)
Wait, so an oldtimer frame will keep its plate & will remain roadtax free?! :shock: No way the goverment is going to let that last...
So if I took this;
http://www.uraldnepr.nl/2014043-2403/2014043.html
Bent the downtubes apart, stick a diesel in between them without stretching the frame, (too much), it is still going to be an oldtimer?

Are there any vital bits I should know about, like are there any noise restrictions on an oldtimer frame or enviromental stuff (doubt it but hey)? Stuff like that, what are they going to test?
What happend when you let your peuguzzi get tested? Because that isn't an oldtimer, is it?

Honda VT600 C Shadow
Nanko

Post by Nanko »

If older than 40 years it will remain roadtax free,you changed from petrol to diesel fuel.
For cars the situation is the same, if one installs a modern commonrail diesel engine in a 40 year old car they still dont charge you for roadtax.
The test for unstretched frames is just frame numbers , brakes , lights and wheelbase , thats about all, no environmental checks.
Peuguzzi is stretched 13 cm , so in my case it was a custom made frame and I had to visit TCL.
It did not pass the test the first time, too much engine noise and not enough noise from the horn
:-)
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Nanko wrote:If older than 40 years it will remain roadtax free,you changed from petrol to diesel fuel.
For cars the situation is the same, if one installs a modern commonrail diesel engine in a 40 year old car they still dont charge you for roadtax.
The test for unstretched frames is just frame numbers , brakes , lights and wheelbase , thats about all, no environmental checks.
Peuguzzi is stretched 13 cm , so in my case it was a custom made frame and I had to visit TCL.
It did not pass the test the first time, too much engine noise and not enough noise from the horn
:-)
Sweet :), so the only costs @ the RDW is those 80 euro's?
Also how do they measure frame stretch? Wheelbase?

I think I'll mount an boat mist horn on my bike then.

Honda VT600 C Shadow
Nanko

Post by Nanko »

My info is from abt 5 years ago so things have maybe have been changed somewhat in the mean time.
If you go the "unstretched" route ,just finish your bike and make an appointment.
Asking advise at RDW helpdesk does not help at all , and the people at the local RDW stations were extremely helpfull.
I was there with SPHERE (also on this forum) it took us 15 minutes (including 10 minutes paperwork)to get his Royal Enfield-Hatz combo streetlegal.
They check the wheelbase with a tape measure
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

I see, so its actually not that hard. I can change the frame aslong as I don't change the wheel base more than 6 cm, make sure the brakes, lights and such work and make sure the frame numbers are still there.

Now I whould like to finish my bike, but I have to start building and buying things first. Those thigns are quite the challenge when you have no space to build nor a workshop to modify the bike. Then again, it will be even more of a challenge if I don't know what im doing. So im figuring that out first.

Plan before I build. :)

Honda VT600 C Shadow
Nederlandse student
I don't post much...

Post by Nederlandse student »

Hoi alle:

I am looking to move to the Netherlands to live on a barge. For land transport, a diesel motorcycle would work for me as I can carry it on the barge. Does anyone have recent information of the rules and laws?

Bedankt /Groetjes,

Scott :D
Laat wat jou inspireert anderen inspireren...
(Let what inspires you inspire others)
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

As long as you don't modify the frame, and use an older motorcycle, (Pre-1980 maybe 1990), you will not have any issues registering the bike as a diesel. Newer motorcycles have such high restrictions on sound and emissions that you can forget those.

It will need to be inspected at the RDW test center.

Honda VT600 C Shadow