How was your Diesel Motorcycle weekend?

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Stuart
Site Admin

How was your Diesel Motorcycle weekend?

Post by Stuart »

I was wondering how much we should put into the Ruggerfield's rear tyre now given that it will have the additional weight of the pannier rack, loaded metal mule boxes, new rear seat & passenger. Better carry some spare wheel bearings too maybe?

Stuart
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Re: How was your Diesel Motorcycle weekend?

Post by Diesel Dave »

Depends on what tyres your running, Avon SM's are better run with as low pressure as possible, in my case that was 22psi when solo and only 25 when loaded up.

I put 32 in the TT100.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

I will pass that on - TT100's on it I'm sure.

Stuart
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Remember your motor is a lot heavier than mine......
gilburton
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by gilburton »

As someone who has run sidecars in the dim and distant past it was always recommended to run at the bike manufacturers max tyre pressures.
If using classic type tyres the Enfield max pressures will suffice.
Not sure about modern tyres.
Anyway start at the max pressure and see if it feels harsh over bumps.
Low profile tyres tend to run at higher pressures and modern suspension soaks up the bumps.
You also have to remember you won't be going fast so the tyres won't be under the high speed loads you would experience on standard superbikes.

As for wheel bearings obviously they have to be in good condition but even with sidecar use I never replaced any.
If you have any doubt best to replace before you go??
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Wheel bearings pretty new so ok there but yes, have seen them go on Bullets with trailers. Maybe that's a coincidence but maybe not?

Stuart
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

That may be more of a comment on Indian bearings so if you have replaced them with good quality ones they should be ok.
I've owned MZ's so know about East German bearings :D :D :D
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Also how they were installed in the first place...

We had to leave one of our troupe in France due to collapsed rear wheel bearings, despite trolling all over the place for replacements (6203's not exactly uncommon either) we had to order some in the uk and send them over the following day posting them to the campsite where we abandoned him.

When they arrived he opened the packet to find 'SKF France' stamped on the outside.... :?

Upon his return we found them wobbly once again; turned out he fitted them by bashing the centre race so all the force went through the balls....
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Diesel Dave wrote:... so all the force went through the balls....
:shock: Ouch.
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Lots of miles last weekend going to Bernards Event in France, adding it all up it comes to over 750 miles in 4 days.

I did have a problem with a jammed starter on the Saturday (looked like the end of a cable tie jammed in the throw out gear) but apart from that old Sluggy's running like a champ. I could still feel my fingers too at the end of a 250 mile straight ride so that's new!

Things that needed attention afterwards:

1) Primary chain tension - all loose and baggy but it was a new chain so will bed in a tad.
2) Gearbox oil top up - usual story, weeps out between the shafts but at least it lubes the chain.
3) Engine oil swap - just for a treat.
4) Change the fork oil for something a tad heavier.
5) TURN DOWN THE MAX RACK SETTING.

Yup it was smoking like a good un, and covered my luggage in soot - loverly.

Although you can get at the max fuel adjuster on a Yanclone when it's installed in an Enfield - it's not easy so I ended up making a special tool from a 17mm box spanner, just to loosen off the locknut. It will need a few test rides with uphill sections to get the setting correct, but I can combine this with trailer testing for Hamm.

This is gearbox No'2 - number 1 was a 5 speeder matched to the original Greaves motor and it lasted for 80,000 miles before getting difficult to change. Gearbox number 2 is a 4 speeder that I rebuilt before fitting so it has bronze bushes and a close ratio gear-set. It's still running fine with around 82,000 miles on it, so the 4 speeders are definitely a lot tougher than the 5.

Onwards and upwards.

Oh and my rear wheel bearings are now loose, but they have over 65,000 miles on them. :lol:
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

So that's how you make your chain last so long.

Roll smokey Dave. :lol:
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Using a specific diesel primary duplex chain on the Ruggerfield. No evidence of stretch at all. Pleased with that.
Nearing the end of the work on above bike. Bar extensions welded on by P&D customs along with new tailpipe. Been setting up passenger seat donated to the cause by Arno & trying to get a good seal on the unique primary case to keep the ATF in. Clutch bolts drilled & wired in place and new Italian throttle put on.
Need to source some air filters now. We think they maybe Triumph in origin.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Entered the Ruggerfield into a local show today. An excuse to run it out with new front wheel bearings.Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro