Enfield Transmission Dimensions needed

Clutches, Chain & Belt Drives

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Curtis in Texas
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Enfield Transmission Dimensions needed

Post by Curtis in Texas »

Can anyone tell me what the dimensions are for the Royal Enfield Transmissions?
Width, height, length and such.
I am looking for a transmission to use on my Diesel KLR. It has a Comet D 44 CV transmission on it now.
It works, but top speed is only 50 mph on flat ground with it. I suspect the belt is slipping badly. And I'm a big guy, so it's always going to be a workout to get me down the road. The engine I think will pull me at 60 mph if the drive line hooks up better.

Would rather have a more positive drive and shift my own if I can.
So I'm looking for skinny transmissions.
I've looked at all the Enfield transmission info I can find, but having a hard time finding any technical info.

Would prefer a left hand shift 5 speed if it will fit, but don't know if the 5 speed is wider than the 4 speeds.
I can live with a left side sift if I need to. Especially if it fits in the little space I have available.

My local Texas Dealer wants $800 for just the transmission an I know I'm going to need the primary drive and clutch etc.... So if I bought from him the cost for the parts would be enormously expensive.
And I still don't know if it will fit in the space available behind the engine..

Here's the bike I'm talking about.

If someone has on sitting on the bench could you take a picture of it and give the dimensions of the parts?

Or maybe someone can point me to a Web Site that will have that info on the transmission would be great!

Thanks. I like riding the bike, but it need a little more top speed for me to survive the roads out where I live in Texas! Old Field trucks are everywhere! And fast!

Oh, and if you guys know of a better solution let me know.
Thanks!
It only cost a little more to go first class,
You just can't stay as long...
DieselFly

Re: Enfield Transmission Dimensions needed

Post by DieselFly »

50mph out of a 10hp is about all you will get. I doubt your belt is slipping but it could be out of adjustment which has the effect of lost ratio. Do you gain speed going down hill? Is the clutch set fully shifted when flat out on level ground? And are you up agaist the governor. The most I could get out of a 10hp dragging my 220lbs around was 51mph under ideal conditions. With all the heat we have been having you will be down on power anyways. Turbo time :twisted:

Sean
Last edited by DieselFly on Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Finished and riding 1975
CB500t Turbo Punsun powered
hardtail.
Curtis in Texas

The guy who built this bike posted that it would run 68 all day long on flat ground.
It's in his initial build report! Even said he rode it to Colorado from Texas at 65.
He did tell me he was a little guy and that's why it ran that fast. I can't even come close to duplicating it!

It will hold 3600 rpm with no load, so I believe it's against the governor. (Hung from the ceiling with the tires off the ground.) It's even run up to 4,000 rpm several time off the ground.
But on the road under load, in the real world it will hold 3,000 rpm fairly steady on flat ground and about 53 is the best it will do on flat ground.

Against the wind or climbing steep grade and it falls off to 45 MPH. If the wind is in my face then I'm doing good to see 45 MPH.

I'm not expecting much more out of 10 horsepower, but my biggest complaint is the belt gets hot and it's a bear to get rolling again after setting at a red light. It wants to jump and buck as the belt grabs the hot pulley.

I probably won't be putting a turbo on this motor since I'm about to start my Diesel Tiger build. Nearly have all the parts. Need a Harley clutch assembly and primary drive chains and sprocket that go with the Ultima Transmission, and that's it.
Makes no sense turboing this motor because the belt would just slip more and the life expectancy would be measured in hours in my opinion .

If I keep it, I'd like to go with a manual transmission first and then maybe a turbo.

But, I'll probably sell it off after I get the Triumph going.
After all, the wife won't ride motorcycles!

Oh and the belt may be stretched some. The adjustment is almost on the money! In fact, it's on the tight side just a hair.
And I mean a hair, like a 16 th of an inch
DieselFly

Post by DieselFly »

Can you put a smaller sprocket on the front to let the RPM come up a bit? The CVTs do need cooling or they will over heat. What RPM does the clutch engage at?
Finished and riding 1975
hardtail.
DieselFly

Post by DieselFly »

If you look at all the Enfield's with yanclones 50-55mph is all they will do. Here is the manual for you clutch might help to get it tuned. If your bike is geared for 68 I would up the final drive ratio. It won't slow it down any but your accelration will get better.
http://www.gopowersports.com/Comet/44mag.pdf
Finished and riding 1975
hardtail.
Curtis in Texas

The front sprocket is a 14 tooth front on the jack shaft. not sure I'd gain any more going smaller than that.

I've played with the rear sprocket and have gone from a 50 to a 45 and can't really tell much difference between the 45 and the 50 on the power curve, other than the 3 mph gain with the 45 T one the top end.
Hills are still slow.

I'll have to play around with the driven spring settings to see if that will help or hinder it's performance.

I appreciate your helping me out with this.

I'd be happy if it would do a consistent 55 MPH, but I'd be happeir with 60!
DieselFly

Post by DieselFly »

You need to get the engine up to the red line. heavier spring in the driven will help
Finished and riding 1975
hardtail.
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

Curtis,

The dimension for the RE 5 speeder are as below. And I presume you're speaking of the recent production Indian built 5 speed as opposed to the Hitchcock UK produced 5 speed intended to replace the old 4 speed.

The trans requires a full 12 and 1/2 inches behind the centerline of the crank. And that's using the original RE 5 speed primary which snuggles you up to the Yanclone as close as you can get. It's 7 and 1/2 inches tall and measures 9 inches from the right hand cover to the centerline of the sprocket on the left (kick start shaft stub not included). Or 12 inches from the right hand cover to the end of the clutch retaining nut of the clutch on the mainshaft ( the clutch springs and retainer extend somewhat beyond the end of the shaft).

The main casting of the trans at it's narrowest is 5 and 1/2 inches. The forward facing bulge on the right is 7 and 3/8 inches using the same aft reference as the narrower dimension.

From the looks of your picture, it would appear you'd have to back up pretty far and get a good run at it if you intend to fit that trans in the available space. Additionally, I believe the fan shroud would need to be modified as the trans comes within about 1/8" of the flywheel. The pic below isn't the greatest, but you might be able to see how close it comes (click on it for the closeup).

If you should go that route, Martin Sprocket has the 06B-2 drive sprocket for the RE primary in stock in either Ft. Worth or Houston - can't remember. Get the one that utilizes the taper bore bush that's readily available about any where. Or if you've got one of those generator engines with the 26mm shaft, there's a company in South Caroline that has the 26mm bush.
Trans Proximity to Engine
Trans Proximity to Engine
Trans Proximity to Flywheel
Trans Proximity to Flywheel
Ron
Sphere

Post by Sphere »

I used to think 800USD was expensive for an Enfield gearbox, until I found out that Hitchcock's sell a 2900 quid box. I wonder who buys that.
'92 Enfield + Hatz 1B40: street legal, weld up stainless exhaust, check engine rpm and change final drive sprocket.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

back to the top. This bike heading to my stable. Will get pictures and updates sometime next week.

To help tie all threads together...... here is old classified thread on this bike with links to other threads.