Batteries - what types are people using?

Wiring, Switches, Alternators, Regulators, etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

lex
Been here a while now..

Batteries - what types are people using?

Post by lex »

Hi there folks!
Just a quick one about batteries, for those of you with electric start singles - what amperage have you found best?
Just wondering what is the lowest cranking amps people are finding useable.
Has anyone any experience with gel batteries?
Batteries are heavy items, so in the interests of weight saving it would be good to know what the smallest suitable batteryis.
Cheers

Alex
Ps I'm using car type at present 38Ah 100 A cranking, no charging info because I havn't set it up yet!!!! (good for a few starts before charging though)
Fiddler
Site Admin

Post by Fiddler »

Lex,

Bit subjective this as it depends on engine type and whether it can be decompressed, your local climate,etc.
However for a 20hp v-twin without valve lifter I managed to use a Odyssey Pc545 14ah, 175cca. Worked reliably until sub zero temps in the winter when it struggled a bit. So as I was having a bit of a redesign anyway I upgraded to a Harley Battery which was slightly bigger at 20ah and a little over 200cca, its coped fine even when cold.
Hope that helps, Mark
lex
Been here a while now..

Post by lex »

Hi Mark
Thanks for the battery info, you've confirmed my suspicion that 200 cold cranking amps are required!
I'm interested in the idea of a Harley battery though - What make is it? (oem)
Thanks

Alex
oilburner
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by oilburner »

You might want to consider one of the Yuasa 12Ah batteries. They come in conventional and maintenance free and are at least 200cca. They come in various dimensions e.g. are YTX14-BS, 6" x 3.4375" x 5.75", and YTX14AH-BS, 5 5/16" x 3 1/2" x 6 9/16". The latter is narrow and tall, 210cca, picture at:
http://www.yuasabatteries.com/battery.a ... 70&vID=503
lex
Been here a while now..

Post by lex »

Thanks Oil burner!
That yuasa battery looks ideal, it may even slot straight into my rather cramped underseat area.
Cheers

Lex