Is that bike diesel mate.

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

sbrumby
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Is that bike diesel mate.

Post by sbrumby »

Just finished reading the book, Christmas present, kept my interest because of the subject. But not a great advert for the diesel bike brigade. The facts at the back of the book 14,500km, 16 belts, 600 lts. converted into real money. 9010 miles, 132 gallons. So unless my maths are up the shoot that is 68.25 mpg & 563 miles per belt.
So if you are thinking of making a bike with a cvt don't think it is a cheap or easy option. I know this was bio diesel but 68.25mpg at the speed it did is hardy an advert for economy. And if that's what an Australian university can do don't try sending a rocket to the moon try Tasmania first.
Sam
gilburton

Re: Is that bike diesel mate.

Post by gilburton »

Don't know what size cvt was fitted but that is ridiculously low mileage for belts as I'm sure scooter riders will tell you.
The Aixam CVT I fitted to mine had a recommended belt change at 11000 mls and that was on the car!!
I sometimes think some builders fit too light a system as they are smaller and fit more easily.
Overall I'd say that the bike in the article was not set up correctly as the mpg bears no relation to other similar diesel bike builds.
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Gearbox. :roll:
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

Gearbox. :roll:
Aesthetics (definition) - relating to, involving, or concerned with pure emotion and sensation as opposed to pure intellectuality

Is this not the gearhead's ultimate aesthetic dilemma? The gearbox (pure emotion and sensation) vs the CVT (pure intellectuality).

The testosterone fueled aesthetic of the gearbox - the crunching, gnashing and thrashing of gears; the oozing of liquids and shedding of parts; the engine's grunting protestations to the demands of the box. Pure emotion and sensation!
That, juxtapositioned against the seamless flow of estrogen coursing through the innards of the CVT, quietly and smoothly making its way to the climax of pure intellectuality.

I'm going to have to throw my vote with Tetronator on this one.

Meds have to be around here somewhere..........................
Ron
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

563 miles per belt is absurd.
My first belt lasted 2000 miles and my current one has over 3000 miles.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

In terms of primary drive, old Sluggy's been through a few.

My first gearbox lasted 80,000 miles - it needs new bearings so it's sitting on the shelf (Enfield 5 speeder)

My second gearbox has 103,000 miles - it wasn't new but I fitted new bearings and bushings before I fitted it (kick starter pawls last around 40,000 miles because I have a close ratio gears and the gear the pawl locates in is smaller and less able to hold the pawl tip.

Primary chains - I'm on my 3rd, first one was an Indian one that looked like it had been running in mud (there was plenty in the primary case) so I changed it at 20,000 miles. I've only just replaced the second primary chain last winter as you could fold it into a figure of 8, but there were no missing links/rollers.

Clutches - went through 2 in the 5 speeder although the second one is still good (different spline fitting to the 4 speeder so can't be used now), I replaced the whole clutch with a new cush drive version when I changed to a 4 speeder, it's on it's 3rd set of plates but I buy the expensive ones from Hitchcocks. I wore out the first set too badly the one riveted to the back of the basket fell out when I disassembled it.

Clutch Cables - I've been through about 6 of them, but i now make my own with cable that looks like you could tow a ship with it. The secret of long cable life is not to route them through the casquette (headlamp casing).

So don't go thinking that a gearbox and chain drive will last forever - everything has a finite life.

I am on my second engine.....the first was not worn out, just my back was so I couldn't kick start it.
On my second frame (got bent when rear-ended by a car)
Second set of mudguards - replaced when the rear one was destroyed by the car - for free as a mate was making a trials bullet.
Second set of forks - stanchions only as I rear ended a bin lorry - ruined the original cassette too.
Third set of headstock bearings
Second set of brake shoes - they don't wear out.
About a million nuts/bolts/washers that disappear down the road.
Umpteen tyres - usually for free as I like the Avon SM's they everyone else discards
Second rear wheel
4th set of wheel bearings
Unknown number of chains/sprockets - usually last around 30,000 miles
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Ol' Sluggy has been trough a lot. :lol:
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

Dave the answer is give up work and write a book, could be a better read.
Sam
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Hi Sam,

I've been told my bike is like my face, it's not the age that shows; it's the mileage.... :D

I may return to writing when I retire, have done some small stuff in the past.
The-Original-T
Been here a while now..

Post by The-Original-T »

I have also just read this book, bought it to take on holiday with me, great read by the way I found Paul carter to be very funny :) but it did sound like the uni made a bit of a hash of designing the drive system, maybe they got the drive alignment wrong or the CVT used simply wasn't the right one for the job, most people on this forum running 10hp with CVTs get much better speed, mileage and reliability.
Great book though, he has written another about the university's "High performance diesel bike" which he does the speed runs with on the salt flats, that's next on my read list :) hopefully that bike is better built I believe they are using the PSA 1.6 turbo diesel in that (as found in Ford, Peugeot, Volvo and Citroen cars)

Still not started my bike build unfortunately, in saying that the previous 2 years of a breakup and associated house sale, house purchase, job change and going out dating hasn't left me much time or money to start! Got a garag again now and back working at a machine shop so hopefully I'll make a start within the next 12 months :D
Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits :lol:
Dan J

Post by Dan J »

Slightly off topic as not diesel related but I can highly recommend Nathan Millward's "The Long Ride Home" book. Very much a story that includes both his struggles with the personal side of the journey from Australia to the UK and - and what many of the other so called "biker journey" books omit - keeping the bike itself working through the journey on a shoestring budget.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Long-Rid ... 0957229720
1990 Honda NTV600 Revere
stevew
I don't post much...

Post by stevew »

Dan J wrote:Slightly off topic as not diesel related but I can highly recommend Nathan Millward's "The Long Ride Home" book. Very much a story that includes both his struggles with the personal side of the journey from Australia to the UK and - and what many of the other so called "biker journey" books omit - keeping the bike itself working through the journey on a shoestring budget.

Nathan is doing a UK LEJOG soon for Cubs but i'm sure he would welcome a Diesel or two !!

Quoting Nathan Millward,
"Been busy this last week or so putting this together in time for Excel. Pick up a copy at the show or flick through a digital copy here. Share it around if you know anyone interested. It's been done to reflect the speakers on the Adventure Stage, so there are more big trips in there, but I think the stories still come through. Also note page 45 if anyone's up for it."
https://www.yumpu.com/en/document/view/ ... ture-green

From what i can glean it's a week long camping trip LEJOG starting at the Lands end visitor centre, 0900 13th May .
2014 Honda Wave 110i
2001 Honda C90
2013 Maxsym 400i
touchwoodsden

Post by touchwoodsden »

Dan J wrote:Slightly off topic as not diesel related but I can highly recommend Nathan Millward's "The Long Ride Home" book. Very much a story that includes both his struggles with the personal side of the journey from Australia to the UK and - and what many of the other so called "biker journey" books omit - keeping the bike itself working through the journey on a shoestring budget.

Just on holiday and bored so resurrecting this thread as I have just read Is that Bike Diesel Mate.

Nathan Millwards book would have been better if he hadnt monotonously gone on about his GF and I would have liked to know more about the trials and tribulations of border crossings.

I thought Paul Carter's book was pants. 50% of it is unrelated. The read is boring to be frank. A few pages from the end he is halfway around Oz and then the writer gets bored and is suddenly back at the start of his journey.

The bike was clearly not put together correctly.

His mates obviously get pissed alot.

Like Nathan Milward, he never shuts up about (in this case) his wife (and daughter).
He should write a baby care book.

If anyone wants my copy, yours for just the postage.

Sorry to be so blunt.

TWD
Merc Estate
BRA CX 3
2 CV Dolly
2 x 250 MZs
1 x 125 4 stroke MZ
2 x 301 MZ
1 x Enfield Himalayan
1x Monkey bike
1 x Honda CT125
1 x Campervan Vivaro
1 x MZ Es250/1 and sidecar
1 x Cat
2 x Parrots
touchwoodsden

Post by touchwoodsden »

I don’t think I could have put it any better myself. I have donated it to the MZ Riders Club annual raffle
Merc Estate
BRA CX 3
2 CV Dolly
2 x 250 MZs
1 x 125 4 stroke MZ
2 x 301 MZ
1 x Enfield Himalayan
1x Monkey bike
1 x Honda CT125
1 x Campervan Vivaro
1 x MZ Es250/1 and sidecar
1 x Cat