BMW Kubota in Pennsylvania

Bike and Parts, For Sale, Wanted, and For Trade.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

pietenpol2002
I luv the smell of Diesel...

BMW Kubota in Pennsylvania

Post by pietenpol2002 »

Ron
reddhott2
I don't post much...

Re: BMW Kubota in Pennsylvania

Post by reddhott2 »

yes I built this bike
reddhott2
I don't post much...

Post by reddhott2 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0jjeXGEvUQ try this for a chance to hear it run
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Great! Any details on the build? I have been eyeing up the k100 as a normal bike. Be interested to see how easy it is to convert diesel
reddhott2
I don't post much...

Post by reddhott2 »

I can answer any questions that you guys might have. I will say I used the bmw trans and it runs and rides like a normal bike. The most fun thing I did on this build was to add the bmw ignition to the back of the alt. then mounted the coils back on the bike in order to pulse the ignition and make the tach work. only problem is tach is 2 times crank speed I haven't figured out how to cut the pulse in half. Fun side it's the highest reving diesel on the planet over 6 thousand rpm's. But it is nice to see the tach and speedo working plus the bike has abs brakes. No top speed on it yet but by next week I will have a number so far 46 in 4th and it was still going hoping for 60mph in 5th
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Excellent! Compared to having to source and build a whole new drive train, this build format seems relatively simple, and nets great results!

Which engine are you using?

Did you have to fabricate an adapter plate to be able to bolt the engine up?

A non runner k100 can be had for 400£ and you get the benefits of shaft drive!

You can get tach adapters that take a signal and manipulate them to drive the tach.

I have used a universal rev counter on mine as it was the easier option.
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

Please do tell us more. I've got a K110 trans and clutch under the bench with some thought of mating it to 3 cyl Kubota for my next build. Ideally the D902. I'd be particularly interested in how you mated the engine to the trans. Also, is that the 14 amp dynamo? And has it been sufficient for your purposes?
Ron
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

reddhott2 wrote:yes I built this bike
Glad you joined after I contacted you with the suggestion. Hope we can all share good stuff.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

pietenpol2002 wrote:.... got a K110 trans and clutch under the bench with some thought of mating it to 3 cyl Kubota for my next build. Ideally the D902....
IMHO the D902 while the torque/HP numbers look good.. the weight being 20lb heavier from the D722 and D902 being one and half inches longer all for very little improvement in performance doesn't make since. Seems to me the D722 turned up a little should provide similar performance yet keep the bike lighter. So far though that is only a guestimate. Time will tell when Im done. Granted im only 150lb fella myself so takes little less torque/HP to move my little arse..
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

All vallid points George. But, I just like how those performance curves converge on the 902 when you're looking for something that will run all day at 65 or 70 without straining. If memory serves, it takes something close to 20 hp to maintain those kinds of speeds without the engine having to continually be at full cry. That said, given the scarcity of the 902 and the relatively inexpensive price of the 722, I may be joining you in that camp.
Ron
GPzTurbo
I'm pretty new here..

Post by GPzTurbo »

Hi
I'm the guy who gets to figure out the lighting, etc. on (some of) Reddhott2's projects. I have this bike now and will check the wiring next week, install an ignition switch-activated timer relay & LED for the glow plugs. Also I think he said the horn, headlight, and signals need to be sorted.
The last bike I got from him was a sweet '57 codenamed "Bizarrley" because it was part BSA and part Harley. I know it's not diesel but it's still pretty fun.

reddhott2
I don't post much...

Post by reddhott2 »

the bizarly that was a fun build good to see a pic of it. to start off the k100 trans is shifted to the right of the bike to center the pancake motor . yes I made an adapter plate to mount the Kubota to the bmw I also adapted the bmw clutch to the Kubota flywheel to use the clutch. in order to balance the bike I tilted the motor to the left 20 degrees I pie cut the pan so it was level with the bike upright and extended the pickup it also added more oil to the system used the bmw radiator. I know there are other tach options but I like to work with what I have on hand it was kind of fun to get the tach working with what I had. besides my way it will twist over 6 grand. I cut the front down tubes added a cross brace and hung the front of the motor from it.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

reddhott2 wrote:... to start off the k100 trans is shifted to the right of the bike to center the pancake motor . yes I made an adapter plate to mount the Kubota to the bmw I also adapted the bmw clutch to the Kubota flywheel to use the clutch. in order to balance the bike I tilted the motor to the left 20 degrees I pie cut the pan so it was level with the bike upright and extended the pickup it also added more oil to the system used the bmw radiator. I know there are other tach options but I like to work with what I have on hand it was kind of fun to get the tach working with what I had. besides my way it will twist over 6 grand. I cut the front down tubes added a cross brace and hung the front of the motor from it.
you have not said yet...... which Kubota engine did you use?
reddhott2
I don't post much...

Post by reddhott2 »

sorry it's a d722
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

GPzTurbo wrote:Hi
I'm the guy who gets to figure out the lighting, etc. on (some of) Reddhott2's projects.....
Welcome aboard to you as well Electro man :mrgreen:
GPzTurbo
I'm pretty new here..

Post by GPzTurbo »

Thanks for the welcome. Motorcycles are so friggin awesome.
The BMW is not even on the road yet (legally) and I'm already trying to talk reddhott into doing another diesel project . Looking for a good donor. We'll see.
Another non diesel project he helped me with was a 85 GPz that we put '05 suspension under. It has the factory turbo and a handmade kevlar/ composite fuel tank. He made me a billet gauge housing on the CNC so I could mount a newer digital speedo . It even had remote start.

I like a bike that makes you take a second look before realizing you have no idea what exactly has been done with it. :-)
GPzTurbo
I'm pretty new here..

Post by GPzTurbo »

Disregard...I'll post in proper section.