Disibility mods for bike

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

dieselbikin
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Disibility mods for bike

Post by dieselbikin »

I haven't said much about it, but the reason I've been out of the loop so long is that I'm recovering from a brain tumor. I was completely paralyzed on my left side; however I'm slowly recovering. I'm at the point I can get on the bike when its on the center stand. Once onboard I can balance the bike ok. I don't want to add a sidecar due to the weight on an already underpowered setup. Need a simple way to make the bike more stable getting on and off. May just build a more robust side stand. Any ideas welcome. Thanks.
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
Tetronator

Re: Disibility mods for bike

Post by Tetronator »

Good to hear you're getting back in the saddle then.

Just spit-balling here;
A second extendable side-stand for the other side which comes down as the original comes down maybe? So you've got the same effect as an center stand but with both wheels down.
A way to lock the rear brake, might add more stability especially on hills.
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan
Eddy Wane

Post by Eddy Wane »

It may be possible to mod the centre stand to function like a side stand. It involves cutting the stand feet off so that it will be fully down when both wheels are on the ground allowing for the addition of a new foot on either leg that is wider than the original. Most centre stands "lock" in position when fully down so that an extra locking mechanism is not required. Imagine a child's bicycle with stabilisers.
I don't know how stable it will be but if altered with care it should be as good as the normal centre stand.
Building the bike. Top of my list, bottom of the wife's.
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

Good to hear you are on the mend, maybe of some help, I own a L E Velocette they only have a centre stand but it doesn't lift the bike off the ground, so when down one leg is off the ground. So it works like a double side stand.
Sam
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

sbrumby wrote:Good to hear you are on the mend, maybe of some help, I own a L E Velocette they only have a centre stand but it doesn't lift the bike off the ground, so when down one leg is off the ground. So it works like a double side stand.
Yes, that's what I meant with my center-stand of sorts. But then having both stands on the ground aswell.

Honda VT600 C Shadow
dieselbikin

Post by dieselbikin »

thanks for the input. I'm going with the wider center stand that hovers an inch or so above the ground when extended. I found one on eBay to hack up. Thanks again. :D
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

No problem mate, best of luck.

Honda VT600 C Shadow
Eddy Wane

Post by Eddy Wane »

Can you post before and after pictures?
Building the bike. Top of my list, bottom of the wife's.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Kudo's to you man. When you fall off the horse ..... then get back up and ride.

With that being said since odds are now you fall a little easier....... get an Air Bag motorcycle Jacket. Several companies make them now. You might can even find them on Ebay and/or Craigslist used. I like the ones that also have a portion that flips down over the Coccyx upon inflation. spendy ones have sensors that will pop the bags.... less spendy ones have a tether that pulls a CO2 cartridge if you get thrown. There is a psuedo ABS like thinga ma bobber that might help with braking too that can retrofit onto bikes. Presently out of production but supposedly returning soon..... hmmmm soounds fishy but who knows

http://www.tcbbrakesystems.com/index.html
dieselbikin

Post by dieselbikin »

I think it's ready to go, I've made a modified foot peg the won't let my foot fall off. As long as I lean right when I stop il be alright. It's ugly , but once I get my plasma cutter going I'll make something nicer. Thanks.
[URL=http://s649.photobucket.com/user/d ... .jpg[/img][/url]
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
dieselbikin

Post by dieselbikin »

Today was bitter sweet. I was riding around the yard when the wife came outside looking non too happy about my shanagens. So as I ride into the garage I laid it over to the left, my bad side, and my left foot was locked onto the foot peg. I didn't get hurt , but she was upset. Needless to say I can't wait to get back on, but she's hell bent against it. To make matters worse I couldn't keep a straight face. Lol
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Kudos to the stubborn man.

Now it's time for conversion to Reverse Trike or adding a sidecar. Those are you best bets to staying safe yet still enjoy. There is a forum section in here on Rev. trike kit companys to steal ideas from.
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=3163
gearhead1951

Post by gearhead1951 »

if you decide to go with an extra wheel you should check the thread I started at www.jockeyjournal.com in the trikes section "notes on trike building" ! There are a number of ideas I put there that got from years of watching others mistakes and successes !

(ex... Separate a fwd auto engine and trans , set the trans behind the engine with the diff centered between the wheels and create a jack shaft to get the engine connected back to the trans !

At that point you can either go with a traditional trike (trans back between the wheels) or a hack (trans set to where the "bike" wheels sprocket is driven by one axle from the trans while the "hack" wheel is mounted just like on the car while the axle for the "bike" wheel passes through the frame just forward of the "bike" wheel and far enough out the other side to line the drive and driven sprockets to power the wheel ) !!