Rant about Photobucket

Talk about anything unrelated to Diesel Motorcycles - hard as that may be..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

touchwoodsden
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Rant about Photobucket

Post by touchwoodsden »

This is a bit of a rant.
For posting pictures, I always used to use Photo bucket. The interface is not that difficult to master, and I had no problem with the speed.
I tried a couple of other hosting sites but couldn't get my head round the software. Back to Photo bucket.
However, the last week, it has been so slow as to be virtually unusable. Simply deleting an image can take several minutes. Uploading 20 images could easily take an hour and then end up with a failure message. In fact, recently, I have add more upload failures than successes.
Hence, I have gone toFlickr, which, although I don't like the interface very much (in fact, I don't like it at all), at least it works and it works at a reasonable speed.
Lots of other people have been complaining it seems about Photo bucket but that's been going on for years.
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind waiting a minute or even several minutes for something to upload but to simply delete a picture or rotate an image and have to wait anything between five minutes and 20 minutes for it to do so, clearly, something is wrong.
I have tried all the fixes they suggest and, as you might guess, they have made not one bit of difference.
Of course, I am a free customer so they probably couldn't care less that I'm not using them any more. Rant over.
Merc Estate
BRA CX 3
2 CV Dolly
2 x 250 MZs
1 x 125 4 stroke MZ
2 x 301 MZ
1 x Enfield Himalayan
1x Monkey bike
1 x Honda CT125
1 x Campervan Vivaro
1 x MZ Es250/1 and sidecar
1 x Cat
2 x Parrots
UAofE

Re: Rant about Photobucket

Post by UAofE »

You have an internet/computer issue. PB works fine.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

While UAofE may well be correct this does also though bring up a reason to NEVER USE PIC POSTING SITES for posting pics to a technical discussion board like this one. Think of all the great threads you've reviewed in here and learned from. Now how much would you have learned if all the pics in those threads were GONE. Please always post your pics on the actual discussion board if they have the means for that (most do). Sure it would be wise to put large version of pics on a pic hosting sites for readers to go to outside the board to get closer look at things...... but at least when things screw up on the pic host site the thread won't be a total loss.

Another way to look at it...... when your great grandson is needing to build a diesel bike to escape the Zombie apocalypse will that pic hosting site still be hosting pics...... NOOO and you'll be long dead as well so your no help either :mrgreen: His death will be on your hands :evil: :mrgreen:
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Welp, I'm having the same troubles, shame that my build tread is really big...

I think I'm going to transfer all my photo's over... ...if I can, its kind of a big job... :(

Edit; Nope, not do-able for my massive build tread unless there's a way for me to upload all the photos at once.
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan
touchwoodsden

Post by touchwoodsden »

UAofE wrote:You have an internet/computer issue. PB works fine.
Every other site works fine for me, so seems odd that it's just PB
Merc Estate
BRA CX 3
2 CV Dolly
2 x 250 MZs
1 x 125 4 stroke MZ
2 x 301 MZ
1 x Enfield Himalayan
1x Monkey bike
1 x Honda CT125
1 x Campervan Vivaro
1 x MZ Es250/1 and sidecar
1 x Cat
2 x Parrots
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

coachgeo wrote:Think of all the great threads you've reviewed in here and learned from. Now how much would you have learned if all the pics in those threads were GONE. Please always post your pics on the actual discussion board if they have the means for that (most do).
My experience has been the opposite, posing pics directly to a forum is far less reliable. Forum software updates, server crashes, host changes, site abandonment/closure, account ban, rogue mod, etc.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

UAofE wrote:
coachgeo wrote:Think of all the great threads you've reviewed in here and learned from. Now how much would you have learned if all the pics in those threads were GONE. Please always post your pics on the actual discussion board if they have the means for that (most do).
My experience has been the opposite, posing pics directly to a forum is far less reliable. Forum software updates, server crashes, host changes, site abandonment/closure, account ban, rogue mod, etc.
Nothing is perfect. While you're correct this can happen..... a good solution is more likely to happen on a single board that faltered. For example... a huge site like photobook..... if it hiccups or closes; hundreds if not thousands of post each person has made that includes pics, is screwed up. This screw up will be spread out across possibly a dozen bulletin boards on the WWW. To massive of an issue for one person to fix. Heck they may not even know their pics in old post that got archived are screwed up unless they went back to it for some reason.

Now if pics on one particular board gets messed up... the problems exist ONLY on that board. Also the owner of the board is more vested in the topic of the board and is more liable to want to solve the issue not just to satisfy users but also cause of their dedication to wanting good archives. Because they are an enthusiast of the boards topic (such as "diesel bikes" of this board) they want good archives for new enthusiast that will come along. While not a guarantee the Admin. can solve or wants to solve the issue... IMHO they will do their best more often than a big pic host site who have bean counters (accountants) who dictate when to solve (or not) issues based on bottom dollar only.

That being said though..... each person hopefully has a back up of all the pics they have posted in various places. Be they in the new cloud systems or on pic hosting sites AND on a harddrive or two.
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

What is everyone doing now that PB is holding everyone to ransom?
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Switched to a different image hosting site, re-uploaded all my pictures, and updated the URLs in my build thread.
https://www.dieselbikeforum.com/view ... 3c3b0c7576

You can bulk download all the pictures from photobucket, they will retain their names making URL update easier if the new image hosting site supports that as-well.
http://support.photobucket.com/hc/en-us ... ing-Albums

P.S. Do not delete your account/pictures from photobucket. That would help them free up drivespace and bandwith. :)
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan
Invictaview
Been here a while now..

Post by Invictaview »

Last edited by Invictaview on Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Invictaview
Been here a while now..

Post by Invictaview »