Project mad from bristol with derv on the brain

Where members can post their photos, interests, and other personal information.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

twosmokeforever
I don't post much...

Project mad from bristol with derv on the brain

Post by twosmokeforever »

I recently found the site when searching for a manual for my ruggerini md150 genset, i live off grid on a dutch barge and my genset is used for back up power and welding, we generally survive with renewables

But the md150 is very noisey in our engine room, so maybe replaced by a silent pack

So on the plus it would be low hours and homeless, its just due its first oil change

I maybe younger than some, although my hair is leaving me like rats on a sinking ship. But i served an engineering apprenticeship, then worked in in technical sales role to the motorcycle trade and then the automotive trade

I've kept with my user name from some other forums tdr250, ns400r and moped army and two machines that i built have been semi finalists in britains got biking talent, so i love nuts and bolts and keeping a busy mind

So although the house boat project is making me very boring, in the furture i either need to buy a cheap plastic rocket or build something a little special to me

I had been collecting some usual parts that i had to part with to fund the floating home, which i regret but in the future i would love to get back on board with the md150 rather than the briggs and stratton v twin big block that i originally intended

So i dream of building a board track racer

No paint, old looking minimal and clean. Small chasis like a bantam with a springer front end

Have you guys used stationary derv engines with separate british gear boxes? What do you do about the clutch?
I don't want a battery would the md150 start with a kick start or better pedal start?

How do you take my md150 and get it to rev? If it rev'd out what horse power?

Would everything turn the right way, i.e smoke out the front like a cb500, brit gear box and still drive forwards?

I run my md150 on rubber blocks, if i fastened solid to a frame would i need jelly socks and gloves to survive, i already suffer with a little white finger?

Would the md150 cruise at a min of 50mph? really want to build a 80mph machine

So to the smoke

tsf
coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Project mad from bristol with derv on the brain

Post by coachgeo »

Sounds like you got alot of great Tinkering experience.

I know this is not exactly the answers you might want, but most your answers; and tons more questions you don't even know to ask yet, are in various threads here like the build threads etc. Suggest you sit back with a brew or two and spend some time cruising the awesome threads in here. Your bound to come up with some great ideas and provide insight to us as well that you've gained in building your previous bikes and Houseboat.

Hit us up with questions in any threads you find useful, but leave you wanting a little more insight. Oh and look forward to your future build thread as well.
Stuart
Site Admin

Re: Project mad from bristol with derv on the brain

Post by Stuart »

Automotive engines have the revs but they are big. The diesel bike thing isn't too much about speed more the laid back kinda riding. Not sure if that md150 has the 180 degree crank? Less vibes with one of those.
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.