Priming injector

Getting the pumbing right for your Diesel fuel feed..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

dieselbikin
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Priming injector

Post by dieselbikin »

My Yanmar 186 clone has been sitting for a long time. I know I have fuel at the injector, but it the injector won't prime. Any suggestions? Thanks.
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet
coachgeo

Re: Priming injector

Post by coachgeo »

hmmm.... I don't think injectors prime. They are a valve that opens under high pressure.

So you saying if you remove injector from engine with it all still plumbed to the IP.... when you spin the engine nothing comes from the injector but if you remove injector in same set up fuel flows thru to end of tube that attaches to injector?

All I can think up is things have gotten gummed up if that is the case. Either the IP is not producing enough pressure to pop open the injector allowing fuel to pass or the injector is gummed up.

Try remove and disassemble injector (in the cleanest environment you would birth savior of the world in*) and soak it in carb cleaner. Note where everything went and reassemble after a 24hr soaking.

*Injector rebuilders do so in a "Clean Room" to avoid the tiniest of particle from getting in an injector nozzle hole
dieselbikin

Re: Priming injector

Post by dieselbikin »

Thanks for all the help. I've got fuel going to the injector and believe all the air is bled out of the line. It fires off with the starter, but dies as soon as I let off the starter. Any ideas? Thanks.
1980 Suzuki 550
10 HP Yanclone
94C Comet