Hello from SLC, USA

Where members can post their photos, interests, and other personal information.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

ExDelayed
I don't post much...

Hello from SLC, USA

Post by ExDelayed »

Greetings all,

I picked up a 1982 Honda CB450SC last summer, by accident. I was playing around an auction site (CoPart), and bid $30 on it. The auction closed, I was countered, but wasn't going to pay the $400 they countered with, and forgot about the bike. Happened to check my email about a week later, and found that they had awarded it to me. I paid for the bike, and the gate fees, and brought it to my shop. I was able to get the engine to turn, and it actually attempted to fire, but the bike was in sad shape. It had about 34K miles, tires were dry-rotted, seat was damaged, and looked like it had sat outside for quite awhile. Upon further inspection, I found its old California registration had expired in 1990. :shock: I put it in the corner of my shop, and if it wasn't for being in plain sight, would have pretty much forgotten about it.

I had toyed with the idea of a diesel bike, and was digging around on ecomodder.com for information when I found this site. I want to bring the bike back to life, and a diesel swap seems like it will be a lot better option, than trying to bring the unknown history engine/trans back to life. A much larger project is nearing completion in the shop, and I will have some time to pay some attention to something else (the bike), so I decided to register. I am still just looking for the final push to diesel, but have found a few really good threads on here that seem to be helping me go in this direction.

As for me, I'm Jon. I am the CFO of an oil field safety company during the day. My shop is holding an old Dodge Dakota (that likes the taste of my wallet), a Hillman Minx, a 36 Chevy 2-door sedan, and the bike. I've always been around cars, but don't seem to stay in any single group. The current car is a Honda CR-Z, but former cars include a Saab 900, Dodge 3500 diesel, Mercedes E500, Volvo V70R, and on, and on. The bike is the first bike I've had since a Honda Trail 90, that I rode while I was young.
I has no diesel bike. :-(
UAofE
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Hello from SLC, USA

Post by UAofE »

Do some research before you start, I think SLC makes you pay back taxes/registration for years it wasn't registered.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Welcome Jon. The best thing to do is some reading up I guess. The basics apply, like using an automotive lump will get you more revs & more speed. CVT's are only so good (my opinion) and, if you go the clutch/gearbox route with an automotive engine I'd not use the car clutch.
Best of luck
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
bf109v7
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by bf109v7 »

Wellcome here. I just finished my diesel swap, it is fun to drive.
Alex