186 Yanclone Glow Plug and other Starting Aids

Engine's, injection, valve's, timing, crank's etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

larkout
Been here a while now..

186 Yanclone Glow Plug and other Starting Aids

Post by larkout »

I still haven't wired up the glow plug on my 186 Launtop, but I am getting curious about it. You know, the one that just dangles in the intake tract? I recently got a kickstarter for my old Norton gearbox, sometimes it works really well, other times not at all.... If the glow plug is actually effective it might be enough to make the kickstarter a sure deal every time. Is anybody using the glow plug? How do you have it set up (timed relay? separate simple toggle switch?) and what do you think of it?

I also remember reading where Harry Ricardo was talking about the best thing to start cold diesels, a little light oil in the cylinder. He said the extra oil would help to seal the rings and take up a little combustion chamber space, which both raise effective compression and cylinder temperatures. Seems like if the glow plug is a bust then that fitting might be useful anyway for a little something something in the cylinder. Any thoughts on this in general or what kind of oil might be heavy enough to seal and light enough be a little combustion aid as well?

I'd also like to hear any other tricks that people use for starting these.
sbrumby
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: 186 Yanclone Glow Plug and other Starting Aids

Post by sbrumby »

Are you using the decompressor to aid starting? if not give it a try, turn engine till it wont turn then operate the decompressor return kickstart to top then sharp kick. This way the flywheel is helping you. I am curious about the glow plug as I have not seen a Yanmar or clone with one. Does it look like a car glow plug solid end or like a car fag lighter, tractors sometimes have this type fitted to the intake but they also are connected to the diesel and they work buy creating a flame.
That said I have a Yanmar L100 with a heated inlet manifold but this looks like the inside of a hair dryer. Also the clone will have a rubber bung next to the decompressor this allows a small amount of oil to be pored into the engine thus increasing the compression. A small Petter engine has the same system but in this case the dip stick is hollow and incorporates a rubber bulb to suck some engine oil and squirt it down the hole in the top.
Sam
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

Ether. Its only harmful if you use too much or with a glowplug system.
A tiny engine like this only needs a little sniff to get it going. The idea isn't to actually turn over the engine with it but to warm the cylinder air enough to ignite the diesel being injected.
A chemical glowplug in other words.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

[ Does it look like a car glow plug solid end or like a car fag lighter[/quote]

Careful Sam "fag lighter" has a different meaning in the US :D :D :D
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

I gave Fag some thought but plumped for it as I wasn't sure how to spell cigarette.
Sam
larkout
Been here a while now..

Post by larkout »

I've read enough about warnings about ether starting fluid in diesels that I haven't tried that yet, but of course have been curious. UAofE, can you tell me a little about you you apply the stuff? And are you running it on a yanclone?

sbrumby- Yah, i use the decomp lever, just like you described. The times when I've had luck is when I then turn the engine slowly another 90 degrees, return kick start to top and give it a go. I think it gives a little more momentum through the NEXT compression stroke. Anyway, this sometimes works, but then I'll go ride it for 20 miles, stop for fuel and the same process just makes great clouds of smoke... No luck. My most consistent starting method is the old 2nd gear run and mount.
The glow plug on this is exactly the same as my old IDI Rabbit, except those are actually in the fuel spray, this is just dangling in the intake.
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

larkout wrote:UAofE, can you tell me a little about you you apply the stuff? And are you running it on a yanclone?
No no, my engine is still very new, I'm a few years (hopefully) from having to worry about starting aids.

The two main causes of engine damage with ether are using it with hot starting aids (glowplugs, intake heaters) and using too much.
With the yanclone glowplug in the intake, its very very limited in its effect. If you want a more effective intake heater you need something with more surface area, like those found in the powerstroke and duramax diesels.

2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D