Ural Dnepr Flywheel adaptation (pics)

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

MotoUral
I'm pretty new here..

Ural Dnepr Flywheel adaptation (pics)

Post by MotoUral »

Whats up diesel heads?

Im adapting an Ural flywheel on my own project and was wondering if I could have some input. Im pretty much trying to turn it into an automotive style flywheel by removing the boss, boring the taper and drilling a bolt circle. This is for a moto guzzi v50. I'm also designing the adapter plate, Any input?

Tetronator
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Ural Dnepr Flywheel adaptation (pics)

Post by Tetronator »

Heya, I guess that'll work but be sure that the Moto Guzzi engine isn't externally balanced by the flywheel. Otherwise I'd suggest modifieng the Moto Guzzi flywheel to fit the Ural clutch.

Be wary about the heads of the mounting bolts interfering with clutch operation, that was the problem with my build. It was solved by using counter sunk bolts.

"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan
MotoUral
I'm pretty new here..

Post by MotoUral »

Thanks for the info. Im working with an Ural 650. But I seem to have the same need for low profile bolt heads. Mine is a 2001 Ural Deco which broke its crankshaft at 3000km!

MotoUral
I'm pretty new here..

Post by MotoUral »

Alright its been almost a year, but I've been busy with it. The Guzzi forum already snubbed me, so you guys are my only hope. Just Kidding.

6061 Aluminum Adapter built with 3/8" plate. Spacing between flanges is 1.1875 inches done with square bar. I beat in some roll pins to hold alignment, installed 5 bolts and TIG welded the bottom spacer bar with 1/8" tungsten, about 210 amps, and my friend was preheating the opposite side. Starter gear tooth engagement looks passable. The clutch seems to disengage just fine. I weighed all the clutch springs to the nearest gram, and put them in a balanced arrangement, because I'm a goof.

So the next chapter will be all about frame modification.
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

Nice work Matt. And that's a whole bunch of aluminum. The Guzzi will certainly be an upgrade from the Ural in any number of ways. And if you can't get those 2 to mate, I've got a spare V50 gearbox I can bring along to ABQ in a few weeks. Keep us posted on the progress.
Ron
MotoUral
I'm pretty new here..

Post by MotoUral »

A v50 gearbox? Funny story about this Ural drivetrain. When viewed from the rear, the 4 forward gears spin the driveshaft clockwise. So something in the kardan is different on Urals compared to Guzzis. But before this project started I made sure I wouldn't have 4 reverse gears!!!
MotoUral
I'm pretty new here..

Post by MotoUral »

I had to move the engine to the right to fulfill the critical dimension of matching up the drive shaft giubo to the drive shaft. This involved some drastic rigidity compromising frame cutting so I could retain sidecar capability. The Ural frame lower cradles are approx 1/4" thick round tube. I'm going to need to add plenty more reinforcing on. The left mount plate will be tacked and then bolted in so that its removable. The right will be welded solid. I had to turn my own 11.5 inch M10 X1.5 through bolt. I still need to figure out the 2 more drivetrain mounts.

^^^^Engine still need to move right. Time to trim another 10mm from the lower tube!

^Final resting spot. Engine will be mounted at a small angle. Giubo should be able to handle the angular misalignment.

^^1/4" Mild Steel Plate

MotoUral
I'm pretty new here..

Post by MotoUral »

And shes done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHI-tVwG_xc

Long story short: I just got the driveshaft aligned then chopped and welded until everything followed suit.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Now that you have the experience. Time to build a diesel bike :mrgreen: