Enfield 395 or 435 or 510cc ..?? help!!!

On-going, finished, abandoned builds & questions galore..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Mahesh
Been here a while now..

Enfield 395 or 435 or 510cc ..?? help!!!

Post by Mahesh »

so, hi diesel gurus... my name is Mahesh from india. i own a enfield diesel...i have a 325cc greaves engine i was not satisfied by its performance so i switched it with the 395cc autorickshaw B2 gl-400 engine and with this i am somewhat satisfied but now i am planning to switch to a 510cc engine which has insane torque but i am worried about acceleration

a few more techinal details...

325 engine 78X68 boreXstroke....gave me insane fuel mileage but the acceleration of the bike was pathetic top speed 50 or 55 KMPH... so i switched to a bigger engine enter the GL-400 86X68 brXst gave a 60KMPL and the acceleration is decent top speed is maybe 70ish ...and now i have grown bored of it..and want to swap with a bigger engine enter the 4510 greaves ..it comes with a 85X90 brXst ...and i am confused about this engine it has a lot of torque and a bigger displacement and will obviously consume more fuel...so does swapping the 4510 engine result in better sudden acceleration(starting acceleration ) and also since its a long stroke engine its rpm is also lower will that affect the drive quality if yes then in what way..??? i dont care about torque much as i usually ride alone without any pillion so what i aim for is sudden acceleration and better mileage....any help is appreciated..and also i was thinking of increasing the bore by 1mm which will increase displacement by 10cc. i wanna know is it a safe bet to invest in a 520cc engine for better performance for acceleration..?? especiallly since its a long stroke engine it provide the sudden acceleration..?? cause i know short stroke engines revup faster providing good top end speed...please guide me in this matter so that i can learn and help me in wasting any more time and money..lol :)
BertTrack
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Enfield 395 or 435 or 510cc ..?? help!!!

Post by BertTrack »

Mahesh wrote:325 engine 78X68 boreXstroke....gave me insane fuel mileage but the acceleration of the bike was pathetic top speed 50 or 55 KMPH... so i switched to a bigger engine enter the GL-400 86X68 brXst gave a 60KMPL and the acceleration is decent top speed is maybe 70ish ...and now i have grown bored of it..and want to swap with a bigger engine enter the 4510 greaves ..it comes with a 85X90 brXst ...and i am confused about this engine it has a lot of torque and a bigger displacement and will obviously consume more fuel...so does swapping the 4510 engine result in better sudden acceleration(starting acceleration ) and also since its a long stroke engine its rpm is also lower will that affect the drive quality if yes then in what way..??? i dont care about torque much as i usually ride alone without any pillion so what i aim for is sudden acceleration and better mileage....any help is appreciated..and also i was thinking of increasing the bore by 1mm which will increase displacement by 10cc. i wanna know is it a safe bet to invest in a 520cc engine for better performance for acceleration..?? especiallly since its a long stroke engine it provide the sudden acceleration..?? cause i know short stroke engines revup faster providing good top end speed...please guide me in this matter so that i can learn and help me in wasting any more time and money..lol :)
Hello Mahesh,

It seems you went the best of both worlds. acceleration and better mileage.

For the best mileage you'd want to get an engine that delivers enough power (torque times r.p.m.) to push you along comfortably at speed while turning around 1800 to 2400 r.p.m. Since that is a mechanical and thermal efficient r.p.m.

This will give you an acceleration that isn't exactly explosive.

Short stroke engines can rev up fast because they are normally multicilinder engines with low rotational mass. They are however less efficient.

On the start acceleration: This will improve with the bigger engine. Since it has more power.

As for your sudden acceleration. This is directly related to the torque your engine makes/can make at a given speed. So you say you don't care about torque but that is the thing that pushes you. Meaning you do care about torque. Quite a bit. :)
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Also you have to consider STOPPING. So you must upgrade brakes. Also bigger engines and moving faster means you must have stronger frame, different rake on the front may be better too so you might want to consider a different bike as your base for a larger engine. Granted I do not know much about Enfield when it comes to these parameters.
Mahesh
Been here a while now..

Post by Mahesh »

h i know i doo care about torque but i always thought torque and acceleration are 2 different things...as torque is weight pulling factor where as acceleration is a 0-60 speed pickup factor...correct me if i am wrong...and also i dont want the best of both power and mileage....i want a good balance where i can enjoy a decent ride with good decent mileage....

anyway about the diesel engines weight the 325 weighs 30kgs, 400 weighs 45kilos and this 510cc weighs 60 kilos...so i will look into the frame strengthening isuue thanks.. :) i guess i need to weld up 2 extra rods as supports to the main frame tubing's...
Mahesh
Been here a while now..

Post by Mahesh »

Update

it seems enfield frame can handle a 60kg engine well enough but the 510cc is way too tall for the frame.....even though we can modify the chasis to fit the engine i think its better to leave it as it is because we dont want to mess up the frames tensile strenght and also the bike ergonomics will also be messed up and so the options avaiable are 325cc or 395cc or 435cc..
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

If this is your bike Mahesh, you do amazing work. You're to be commended for your craftsmanship.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKdUlaG0pEQ
Ron
Mahesh
Been here a while now..

Post by Mahesh »

sorry that is not me..his name is also Mahesh but hes from kerala or tamil nadu...and he does a good job candy coating a bike and selling for big bucks...a friend of mine asked for a bike from him and he quoted 2 Lakhs rupees... here at my place we can get get a bike custom restored for like 1 lakhs...he was demanding too much and its just nickel and colour without performance they are nothing....
sonydsinglesville
I don't post much...

Post by sonydsinglesville »

Mahesh wrote:sorry that is not me..his name is also Mahesh but hes from kerala or tamil nadu...and he does a good job candy coating a bike and selling for big bucks...a friend of mine asked for a bike from him and he quoted 2 Lakhs rupees... here at my place we can get get a bike custom restored for like 1 lakhs...he was demanding too much and its just nickel and colour without performance they are nothing....
Hllo mahesh am also building a daihatsu custom bike n approx completed 70 % wrk
If u want any help regarding framin n anything else u can whtsapp m am frm haryana
sanjay
I don't post much...

Post by sanjay »

Hi Mahesh I sanjay from Mumbai I also own diesel bullet bike 325cc Taurus. I want upgrade with ape piaggio bs3 engine 436cc. Can u help about.