Comet clutch adjustment

Dedicated to the CVT...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

UAofE
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Comet clutch adjustment

Post by UAofE »

I have a 44C/44D on my Rebel. The Drive clutch is set to engage at 1900rpm, its lowest setting.
The driven clutch seems to be the problem. The bike accelerates great at 3600rpm up to exactly 45mph then the clutches upshift, the engine lugs down below 3000rpm and I am out of my power band to keep accelerating.
I can (extremely slowly) gain speed on flat ground up to 60mph, but it won't downshift at all until it gets below 45mph.

The Comet OEM manual says increasing spring tension of the driven unit will hold engine RPMs higher for longer. But nowhere do they say how to adjust it and I can't figure out how from the diagrams and parts listing.
2006 Honda Rebel
Kubota OC95, Comet 44C/44D
bf109v7

Re: Comet clutch adjustment

Post by bf109v7 »

I dont have mine here yet. But I understud the desciktion that it chanches the rduction steplees. I drove a scooter here with a similar gearing, And here I could not feel any shifting. Could it bee that on your Pulleys something (the slidung part) does not move smooth?
Alex
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

Going by your pics the belt looks slack to me which would affect it??
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

Its the exact 9-3/16" spacing called for by the clutch pair and belt part number.
2006 Honda Rebel
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

The rear spring tension is not adjustable but there are different grades of spring that can be fitted - usually colour coded.
pietenpol2002

Post by pietenpol2002 »

The Comet guru you want to talk to is Don Jackson at Certified Part Corporation. CPC aquired the assets of Comet and Don came along as a part of the deal. He was still with them fairly recently and undoubtedly possesses more knowledge of tuning the Comet CVTs than anyone else in the states. Contact info below. However, their website isn't the best.

Certified Parts Corporation
1029 S. Jackson Street
Jainesville,WI 53546
Phone: 608-774-0481
Fax: 608-743-4109

Web site:
http://www.certifiedpartscorp.com
Ron
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

according to this thread... http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-ezgo ... pring.html

you can adjust the "driven" spring by shimming it. Though there is different load of springs (color coded as pietenpol2002 says) manufactured for this purpose.

Read the thread closely. Part way thru someone gets confused and starts talking about the "drive" clutch adjustments. Another reason I hate "Drive", "Driven" terminology. "Primary" and "Secondary" are much better terms and avoids this easy to do confusion
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

Problems are I can only find the red spring, and I actually need to reduce spring pressure so I can accelerate in the 30-45mph range.

The gearingcommander chart confirms what is happening:
Lug to 16mph as the belt speed catches up to engine RPM.
Accelerate quickly to 16-30mph on engine RPM alone.
Accelerate very slowly 30-45mph as the clutch very slowly up-shifts.

But it doesn't explain the 45mph top ratio lock.

There is another intermittent issue that may be related to my speed problem; Three times in 600 miles the drive clutch has gotten stuck out just enough to contact the belt and stall the engine as I come to a stop. The only way to get it out of that condition was to get the engine speed high enough to up-shift the clutch so it can reseat.

According to this place: https://www.gokartsupply.com/340ser.htm "Indicators of a torque converter system requiring cleaning and lubrication are erratic or jerky engagement upon acceleration and a tendency to apparently "lock" into a particular speed"
After a quick look at my clutches, it appears like there is some oil on the driven clutch shaft where the moving plate slides (likely from the defective leaking oil pressure switch I removed). I will try cleaning it off with some alcohol, but I will order some Comet Dry Lube and do a deeper clean/lube.
2006 Honda Rebel
UAofE

Post by UAofE »

I cleaned the oil off the driven clutch shaft. No change.
We'll see how things change with the turbo (hopefully) this week.

There is plenty of thread exposed on the fixed cam shaft. If I can figure out how to get it apart I can make a spacer to fit on the shaft which (should) reduce spring tension.

Worst case, I may have to bite the bullet and drop down to a 14-tooth sprocket.
2006 Honda Rebel
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Gear Commander... nice resource. For others...... link to it is in our Calculations forum

viewforum.php?f=30