Donor bike suggestions and aixam CVT questions.

For all topics relating to Diesel motorcycles.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Donor bike suggestions and aixam CVT questions.

Post by alexanderfoti »

Hi all

I'm planning a new build, and for simplicity, will be using z482 and CVT drive from an aixam.

This poses 2 questions. One, which donor bike to use? I assume it's going to need a bike frame, as the combo is going to be quite large I think.

Does anybody have any measurements for the total CVT length?

I would like it to be bit newer than my current 1991 xj600,as it's needing endless non diesel related things (fork seals, caliper seals, head stock bearings etc)
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Re: Donor bike suggestions and aixam CVT questions.

Post by Diesel Dave »

Stick it in an Enfield and I'll buy it when you have finished.... :D
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

I could do :) :)

I have PM'ed TIm, asking him for the dimensions of his power unit. Probably the best person to ask.

I have been thinking, if he can shoehorn them into a super dream, then most bike frame designs should work.

I have been looking at bikes with a steel cradle type frame. I am hoping that I can get the whole unit in without frame mods, but you never know.

My short list is:

XJ600 Diversion

I'm not sure the frame design would work well, as the original engine is very far leaned forward. However there are lots of them about, and they are cheap.

Yamaha FZS 600

A fair bit bigger than the XJ600, but a bit of a cult following, I had one for a while. Excellent all round bike, so nice for a conversion but probably quite heavy, and again, engine is leaned quite far forward so space inside the frame may pose a problem.

Kawasaki ZR550

Looks like it should be better for frame space. Same age as my current diesel bike. Not a huge amount for sale.

Honda CB500

Tons of them about ,starting to get popular though so prices are getting higher. Lots of versions with the same name. Looking at one in the mid 1990's. Not sure about frame space again.

Suzuki GS500

Same as the CB500, although it has a larger upper spine section of the frame, and a smaller cradle hanging down, which means that frame mods shouldn't affect its strength.

Suzuki GSF600

Seems like lots of space about in the frame. Even if mods are needed, doesn't seem too hard to do.

Any thoughts?
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Im leaning towards the bandit. Lots of them about, removable right side frame section means that getting engine in and out should be straight forward. Thoughts?
sideshow
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by sideshow »

Not exactly sure how much room you're looking for, but the CB750 i'm working on has had plenty of room - minimal frame mods needed. Are you going to hang the CVT off the side of the bike?
Project: 1980 CB750 with Hatz 2g40 (CVT)
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

I ended up buying another superdream, even though I hate them. Long story :)
tony g
I'm pretty new here..

Post by tony g »

hi Alexanderfoti got the spelling right this time is their any reason you are going to use an axiom cvt most use comet or similar is it because of availability or are they better they looks to be a lot of overhang on engine shaft how does this affect bearing load on engine or are bearings designed to take them .? Tony g
gilburton
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by gilburton »

Aixam microcars already use this engine and CVT so if you could get a complete car it makes sense to also incorporate the CVT as well.
The cars have a small gearbox/diff which can be resold as they are quite fragile and wanted by Aixam owners. The other parts could also be sold off.
The measurement from the engine drive pulley centre to the centre of the rear pulley is around 250mm but don't quote me on that.
This is determined by the belt. Note the belt is NOT under tension as it needs some slack so that at idle it can fall down the centre of the drive pulley and rest on the small bearing. The sides are clear of the pulley and as drive is taken up the belt gets squeezed and acts as a clutch.
So the measurement you are after is from the front of the engine to the centre of the rear pulley.
The rear pulley is hanging off the side so you only need room for a 19mm shaft mounted on 2 Pillow Block bearings.
If you need to get one made up I'd go for 25MM turned down to 19mm or even get a Kart axle?
It's much more compact than a Brit gearbox.
If I was building one again I'd look for a custom/cruiser type as these frames are generally quite long even the 125's but for a twin I'd go for something larger.
Possibly even a chop project that already has a v5 to save hassle??