Big Knock 2015

Talk about riding, events, meets, rally's, etc...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Re: Big Knock 2015

Post by Diesel Dave »

It was a grand Rally!

Mixed bag weather wise but Saturday was a scorcher and for those of us getting rather thin on top it was a choice of either wear a hat or burn your scalp (the Sunday morning shower felt like someone loaded the nozzle with needles - :lol: ).

I rode down on Thurs after starting work early to allow an afternoon ride and so avoid the rush hour M25 traffic and get the tent up before dark. It was Sluggy's first rally with his new motor and tank/seat arrangement and I'm happy to report that he's running like a champ and the tractor saddle is very comfortable. I do believe there may be a future with this new fangled electric starting malarky. I didn't even loose any nuts or bolts in the 70 mile run so perhaps balancer shafts also have a future.

Ah - I did loose the rubber tip off the RH footrest as the new motor mount subframe seems to have removed the central hinge from the frame too so I have found that dragging the foot pegs around corners is now possible.

My usual micro tent that I use for bike camping was flattened a few weeks previously on a rather wet-n-windy C90 run to Barmouth, happily it's replacement has proven water tight and easy to erect as all the poles are erected externally and the material part simply clips underneath.

We had 3 repairs required to the bikes on site; an SV650 with blown reg/rec which also took out the battery; Jeff deserves a round of applause for driving all the way to Brighton for replacement parts on Friday. The second was some electrical woes for the Robin/Matchless on Saturday, it would start on the electric starter but then the main fuse would blow immediately. There were multiple cables that had melted but applications of tape seemed to do the job along with a dozen fuses for testing and spares. The main cause was the loom being trapped between the tank and frame. Lastly Les arrived on foot after leaving his bike in Wisborough Green (he had also pushed it several hundred yards to find a safe parking spot outside the village shop). The problem turned out to be a loose rocker bar which caused a pushrod to jump off it's seat - something to watch out for if you have a Yanma clone as that bar is only held by a single large bolt and this is not the first I've heard off coming loose. Still no harm done and we soon had his bike running once more.

I dipped out of the ride on Sat as my back was playing up a bit but at least the time wasn't wasted and mechanical repairs took it's place after a few painkillers.

Learning points from this year:

1) Kubota twins are the new 'in vogue' motor.
2) Placing an inflatable sofa too close to the fire is not the best idea.
3) SV650's deserve their reputation for eating reg/rec's
4) Never buy a Dneiper unless you have capabilities to reline the brake drums annually; (and I do mean drums and not shoes).
5) A watched kettle never boils (time increases exponentially with the number of eye's looking)
6) A Batman 'Onesie' is not suitable campsite bedwear. (Not mine you understand)
7) Female + Chocolate = friend for life

The pub has much improved facilities for camping and very welcome they were too, there are washing up facilities too but I didn't find them 'till Sunday - good job I was eating in the Pub/cafe up 'till then.

My thanks to Jeff for manning the BBQ and donning the chef's hat - above and beyond the call of duty that one, Stu for the organisation and T shirts and everyone else for making it a grand occasion once more.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Agreed on the Kubota twin. I would love to build another with one but I just don't have the space or the funds or the time anymore :(

Excellent to see everybody's new ideas floating around though and being put into practice. Pretty happy with the new pub and facilities too. That badgers cider knocked me out a bit :)

Will be there next time on my XJ600 diesel :)
coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by coachgeo »

Anybody got more pics? No pics it didn't happen...... Only one pic...... it's just a "maybe" :mrgreen:
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

https://www.facebook.com/chris.taylor.3 ... nref=story

And just in case you can't view the gallery here's a few fave's

Loadsa Bikes

Eatin' stuff

Fixin' stuff

Sluggy's reborn for 2015

Steve's beard's getting' longer

Inappropriate headwear

Inappropriate bodywear

coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Diesel Dave wrote:https://www.facebook.com/chris.taylor.3 ... nref=story

And just in case you can't view the gallery here's a few fave's... [pic] [pic][more pics]
Mucho thanks for posting and my apologizes for my impatience to see what all went diesel down on that side of the big pond.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Hate to post again but Facebook says:

"Sorry, this page isn't available" "The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed"
Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Just to keep you occupied whilst I go and download all Chris' photos...

Me - about to set off:

Diesel Dave
Site Admin

Post by Diesel Dave »

Right - let me know if you can view this:

http://s301.photobucket.com/user/DaveWa ... ock%202015
BertTrack

Post by BertTrack »

Diesel Dave wrote:Right - let me know if you can view this:

http://s301.photobucket.com/user/DaveWa ... ock%202015

Works nicely!
Tetronator

Post by Tetronator »

Just got home again from my little vacation in England, I had an amazing time at the rally and will be sure to attend again, next year.

On a more technical note, I learned a lot about the problems I might/will encounter during the build of my own diesel motorcycle so it was well worth the effort.

Once again, a thank you to the people who made this possible.
"...the fearless Dutchman..." -Stuart
"...the mad Dutchman..." -Diesel Dave

Honda VT600 C Shadow
H̶o̶n̶d̶a̶ ̶C̶B̶R̶6̶0̶0̶F̶2̶
Mercedes-Benz W123 300D Sedan
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

The rally scene is a great place to interact & pick up details of builds. I came away with info to help my project & will at Hamm with the hope of learning more. All good stuff.
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
Stuart
Site Admin

Big Knock 2015

Post by Stuart »

Spent another few hours pulling the text & pictures together last night so hope to get my take on the rally posted this week. Bit of a delay because of other bike related stuff happening.

Report link: http://www.dieselbike.net/BritishRally1 ... ally15.htm
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.