registering in the UK

Insurance & Registration issues etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

oldbmw
I luv the smell of Diesel...

registering in the UK

Post by oldbmw »

In the UK Would I be correct in thinking the emmissions a bike has to pass depend on the date on which it was first registered. The reason I ask is, for instance would it be easier to register a non currently conforming diesel engine into an old bikes frame ( say 1960's) than say a new frame of today?

speaking of frames, Hitcocks has some Enfield frames for singles and twins. I have to say I dont like cannibalising old Brit bikes, but as these have already been split it does not matter so much.
Larry
Fiddler
Site Admin

Post by Fiddler »

Larry,

I'll have a definitive answer as to how easy it is to register a new build diesel bike next friday when mine is inspected. I have just MOT'd an unregistered diesel build and there was no emmissions test performed. The DVLA still want to inspect the bike but they informed me that this is a formality to check the identity is legitimate.
As best as i understand it any frame/new build over 10 years old does not require the SVA (single vehicle test) and can there therefore be registered as a modified vehicle providing certain key elements are unaltered such as frame geometry,brakes and suspension. Fortunatly mines an 95.
Im not sure any bikes are required to be MOT emmissions tested at the moment, I may be wrong but none of mine ever have been, my newest bike being an 02. However just to save any potential problems I spoke with the DVLA man responsible for single vehicle builds before I built mine. He stated that there is no emmissions test as such for diesels, instead it is a particle test. At the time of speaking to him around a year ago he stated that it isnt as stringent as petrol counterparts and he felt confident any small industrial engine would pass as it would be using the same guidelines as commercial vehicles.
Strange quirk of the system is that it was perfectly legal for me to ride the bike to a pre arranged MOT but illegal for me to ride it to the DVLA test centre next week.
Fingers crossed that it goes smoothly and I'll be on the road at last. Hope this helps.

Mark
oldbmw
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by oldbmw »

Many thanks, and good luck......

Does that mean changing a front brake on an Enfield to a disc would pose problems ???
Larry
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

SVA test

Post by Crazymanneil »

Guys,

I have the MSVA manual at home which actually has a section on diesel testing. If the vehicle is amatuer built then the test is visual (!) to ensure that it would not obstruct the vision of cars etc behind. Only other bit to get through would be a sound test which might be trickier depending on your setup.

I was thinking about if the EGR valve etc on my engine would be necessary, but it would not make any difference to a test like this.

Neil
Smart engined 800cc turbo diesel triumph tiger. 100mpg (imp)
Belfast to Kathmandu overland, 2010/2011 - http://www.suckindiesel.com
Bangkok to Sydney ???
SUMO
Been here a while now..

Post by SUMO »

having to have an msva test depends on a points scheme

cant remember the numbers but each part has a point - engine, frame , wheels etc... frame is the big points bit

if you alter the front loop of the frame then its a "radically altered vehicle" so msva is needed if you want to be legal

edit:

found it

Original frame= 5pts
Original Engine=2pts
Original forks=2pts
Original wheels=1 pt

So its Frame+ 2 major components to retain its original registration, and the minimum required is 8pts.
Crazymanneil
Site Admin

Post by Crazymanneil »

If a bike goes through the MSVA route, does that mean you get a "Q" registration? Or is that only if they can't identify some of the parts or something?

Neil
Smart engined 800cc turbo diesel triumph tiger. 100mpg (imp)
Belfast to Kathmandu overland, 2010/2011 - http://www.suckindiesel.com
Bangkok to Sydney ???
SUMO
Been here a while now..

Post by SUMO »

basically - you get either brand new plate of this year if you have receipts and parts are all new. or a q if its modified other bike with old bits on it