air filter of china diesel

Doing stuff with air...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

arnaud
I luv the smell of Diesel...

air filter of china diesel

Post by arnaud »

Hi, the last few years i had a foam filter on my diesel engine, because the original paper housing is in the way f my knee,
this afternoon i might place the whole original filter in an other place(the foam filter has had it's days) but i am wondering if it might affect power.
Did nyone notice any output difference between air filter types on a single diesel?
deepthroatdiesel
I'm pretty new here..

Re: air filter of china diesel

Post by deepthroatdiesel »

Nope.

Since diesels don't have to run (nor do you want to run them) anywhere near a stoichiometric ratio, there's no such thing as getting "too much air" unlike a gas engine running too lean.

(I'm sure someone will nitpick with this statement, but I'm too lazy to give edge case scenarios.)

Just make sure you don't end up with less flow than you had originally (thinner plumbing, too many bends, denser filter media with too little surface area, etc).

Enjoy your toy!
arnaud

Post by arnaud »

That is only my question.. does the original filter restrain more then a foam filter..?
deepthroatdiesel
I'm pretty new here..

Post by deepthroatdiesel »

I would assume so, but I don't know anything about your foam filter (nor how much oil its been bathed in). What size engine did the foam filter come off of? That should give you an idea of how well it should flow.

I, personally, will only be looking for automotive or truck air filters when I've got my bike ready to go on the road. (Or *maybe* motorcycle filters from greater than 1000cc blocks if there's a compelling reason.)
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

I ran my 350 with a two stage foam filter from a cooling fan. I noticed an improvement in performance. I also made extra holes in the airbox as that was restrictive not at low revs but at high.
I have left the cardboard filter in my current bike because I am happy with a: it's peformance and b: it's sound. I'm sure the 'knock' and general noise would be a bit more intrusive should I mess with her pipes!
Peter the blacksmith
Been here a while now..

Post by Peter the blacksmith »

I have been told by an expert, that diesels are not sensitive to the airflow like forstroke petrol engines. But they are sensitive to dust, so it is important to have a good airfilter, he recommended me and oiled mc-filter.
The early bird will get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
albertaphil

Post by albertaphil »

The more air you can give your engine the more power you are likely to realize. But your diesel Will suck more air than a gas because the airflow is never throttled as in a gas engine. So you need a filter that flows freely and is not plugged. Dust Will not hurt a diesel any more or less than a gasser but is likely to suck more dust through a bad filter than a gasser just because it uses more air.