Wiring a ruggerini to a Honda superdream

Wiring, Switches, Alternators, Regulators, etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

albertaphil
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Wiring a ruggerini to a Honda superdream

Post by albertaphil »

My ruggerini md151 alternator has two wires coming from it. The Honda charging system has a three wire connector.

How do I put these together? I am assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that one of the wires for the md151 takes 12v from The battery to excite the stator, and the other carries the generated electricity.

On the Honda side I am assuming that the third wire is an earth for the charge warning light, but I don't know.

Knowing that hondas and rugs have been put together by people here I was hoping that someone here can tell me what to hook up to what so I don't fry my alternator.

I also still have the regulator from the rug in the event that the output from the rug is not compatible with the Honda regulator. Is it?

Thanks for the help.
albertaphil

Re: Wiring a ruggerini to a Honda superdream

Post by albertaphil »

Hmmm. I just read an old thread farther down that indicates that two wires vs. Three indicates two phase vs. Three phase such that I can hook the two wires from the rug to any two of the three wires on the Honda. Is this true?
henneberg

Post by henneberg »

Yes the Ruggerini provides only 2 phase generator output, like many small diesel engines with the alternator built into the flywheel.

I just used an original Yanmar L100 15 Amps rectifier to fit the Ruggerini 2 phase generator output.
---------------
Enfield Ruggerini MD151 654cc build - running: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4UsIn5QLxk
tappy

Post by tappy »

Yep - you should be able to connect the single phase, 2-wire ruggerini alternator to any two of the 3 honda reg-rec connections that took the original 3-phase, 3 wire Honda wiring.
The other reg-rec connections are earth and +13.5V output.
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

I will have to check on my ruggerini but I would be inclined to use the ruggerini regulator and not use the honda. From memory 1 wire goes to the battery and the smaller wire goes to an indicator bulb as in a car. Bikes do not have a generator charging light.
Sam
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

A lot of honda regulators have ground, +12v and switched 12v for a sense wire.

As others have said, you can use any 2 of the connectors for the ac side.
albertaphil

Post by albertaphil »

I am going to start out using the Honda regulator just because I would have to do a bit of figuring to fit the rug regulator in. Just as you say alex, the rug regulator has 4 marked wires...2 for a/c, 1 for 12v and the other switched. Pretty simple.
albertaphil

Post by albertaphil »

Now that I have run the engine in the frame with the electrics hooked up I think I will have to use the ruggerini regulator instead of the Honda... The static voltage of my battery is 12.4v.
Last edited by albertaphil on Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
albertaphil

Post by albertaphil »

Engine off with all the lights on except the burnt out headlight) system voltage is drawn down to 11v. Engine on with the lights on, voltage is 12.2 at idle or revved up.

Since running voltage is less than static voltage, I'm guessing my battery won't charge. And I'm not even running my electric oil pump yet.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Hmm yes that doesn't look great, you need 13.5+ to charge.

If you rev the engine with no electrical consumers on at all, do you get a rise in voltage? It may be another fault.
albertaphil

Post by albertaphil »

Well the right signal lights work and one of the fuses is blown. It is the middle one of the three. I assumed the headlight was burned out but maybe it is something else. Thanks for the perspective.
albertaphil

Post by albertaphil »

The right hand signal lights and headlight still don't work, but the battery is now charging. The problem was that the Honda voltage regulator earthed to the Honda engine, which is now absent. I added 3 earths to the chassis of the bike and it solved the problem.