Superdream electrical

Wiring, Switches, Alternators, Regulators, etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

albertaphil
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Superdream electrical

Post by albertaphil »

So my honderini is running, and I am trying to track down the electrical gremlins.

The bike has 3 fuses in a bus just aft of the voltage regulator. When I bought the bike the middle fuse was clearly blown but had been shorted with foil

Of course, I don't trust that any of the fuses are if the correct amperage.

Do any of you superdream folks out the know what size the fuses should be and what they do? Thanks.
coachgeo

Re: Superdream electrical

Post by coachgeo »

about 15min google search and found this

http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb400nc-1983 ... ml#results

Looks like 15amp on top and two 7's below that. Also a hint came across that there is an area up by the fairing and another around the tank where the wires get crunched and worn. The 15 amp blows due to a wire direct grounding to earth. Think the 15 is an ignition fuse.

There was a good bit on this. Apparently its common issue.
albertaphil

Post by albertaphil »

Thanks Coach. I will check the wires and then determine whether I fried my alternator.

I'm in a no-charge situation right now, with either the ruggerini regulator or the Honda one. My engine shutoff is a pull cable (originally the choke cable) but I forget that of course, and have turned the key off while the engine is running... I wonder if removing the switched power to the alternator while it is running wrecks things. I will ask Professor Google.
albertaphil

Post by albertaphil »

So I don't think I destroyed my alternator as the key just switches off the field wire.

And I will proceed to check the many earths scattered around the bike. I have seen many strange electrical issues on other vehicles due to bad earths.