What Diode? Not a monthly magazine. lol

Wiring, Switches, Alternators, Regulators, etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Anorak_ian
I luv the smell of Diesel...

What Diode? Not a monthly magazine. lol

Post by Anorak_ian »

Ok, I don't know what I'm looking for, maybe you could advise please.

Here I sit with half a broken tooth in my head, nursing it with scotch. So I'll probably be slering me words. :lol:

This is the situation.

reg rec when not at charge mode kicks out 2 amp to the battery (saves over charging it).
The aux / lighting circuit from the reg rec kicks out 7amps.

To stop the 7amps combining with the 2amps getting to the battery and over charging it when the lights are off, I have a rather unattractive flick switch on the bike. It ain’t right!

So I need a diode at the battery + lead that runs to the ignition switch, and the 7 amp aux lighting circuit joined between them.

But, what diode?
I know it can't be a zenor diode as that dumps to earth? Proberbly got that wrong :lol:
tappy

Re: What Diode? Not a monthly magazine. lol

Post by tappy »

But, is the "lighting" output 12V AC or 12V DC?
I had a look at the wiring diagram on your web-page but the reg/rec on it doesn't have a separate lighting output so it's hard to know how you've got it wired up.

I wouldn't really recommend using any diodes in the path to a headlight if you're using tungsten halogen bulbs. All diodes lose at least 0.7V across them, and that can actually muck up a halogen bulb really quickly (they go purple and burn out in hours).

If you're using the "charging indicator" output, why not use that to control a relay, hidden away somewhere that replaces your flick switch?

If you have a wiring diagram then post it up and we should be able to come up with something simple.
Hope the scotch is working. If not I've got some home-made chilli vodka that would probably help take your mind off it :-D
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

tappy wrote:......
Hope the scotch is working. If not I've got some home-made chilli vodka that would probably help take your mind off it :-D
:) :)
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

I'm sure it's DC, as the Ruggerini diagram shows it going to the ignition switch, and then off to the oil pressure switch & bulb.
I can't see that they used one of the spades on the ignition switch as a connector block. But it may be just that simple.
I can't think what it would feed other than the oil pressure switch & bulb, or why the battery would feed those items.

I have asked Ducati to verify if it is dc, but will they get back to me, anyone’s guess.

Diodes and halogen bulbs, didn't know that, well that's diodes out then.

Charging indicator output and a relay, something to think about.

I wonder if I'm going over the top trying to use the aux power at all, just trying to give the battery an easier time of it.

How do other Ruggerini / Lombardini owners run their power / lights etc. Harley style, straight from the ignition switch via the battery? Anyone?
http://atulv.com/347/2007-2008-harley-d ... fxdc-fxdf/

Chilli vodka, sounds good. :D
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

Mine is wired dynamo to regulator to battery, everything else is from battery.
Sam
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

Hi Sam, plenty of night riding & no problem with lights?
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

Interestingly enough i allways rode in the daytime with the lights off until i put the voltmeter on the battery. With the engine running it kicks out more volts with the lights on. So now i allways ride with the lights on. Headlight bulb 55w + tail light 5w = 60w `/. 12 is only 5 amps.
Sam
tappy

Post by tappy »

I don't think you necessarily need to use separated battery and lighting outputs on a motorbike.
In an industrial generator where the the engine is running at a decent rpm for hour after hour the alternator will charge the battery up quickly and then there may eventually be some risk of battery damage after a few hundred hours constantly trying to charge it a little bit more.

On a motorbike where the revs are up and down all the time, and often idling, with lights & other accessories providing a continuous drain, modern motorcycle manufacturers never bother with separate systems for battery and lighting.

Some small bikes used to have separate circuits, but that was because it was cheaper to use AC directly from the alternator to power the lights, and then use a small reg/rec to charge the battery.
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

Whoo, I got that one wrong then.
I thought Jap bikes had small battery's due to a separate lighting circuit.
Maybe that's why my battery expanded to the size of a hydrogen balloon a few years ago. :lol:
tappy

Post by tappy »

Well it's only educated guessing, but in the last 20 years I've never come across a japanese bike that used a separate lighting circuit, except for a couple of small, old trail bikes.

Have you had problems with batteries then?
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

tappy wrote:Have you had problems with batteries then?
Lol :lol:

just a few.

My own stupid fault. You can't expect to turn over an engine with twice the compression of a Harley with a weedy battery and have no ill effects.
Of course the battery goes and the reg follows, along with led tail lights and Tiny tach.
Now sorted.
tappy

Post by tappy »

Oooh - that sounds like an expensive list. Good job our lovely diesel engines don't have CDI ignition - it'd have taken that out too!
Anorak_ian

Post by Anorak_ian »

luckily the Tinytach was exchanged free of charge.