new member, Sheffield S25 England

Where members can post their photos, interests, and other personal information.

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

jimmy62alan
I'm pretty new here..

new member, Sheffield S25 England

Post by jimmy62alan »

Hi Guys,
I'm new to the site and hope to get some advice and hopefully exchange views on various diesel subjects with you's all. I have not been on a bike for some time but I have recycled waste motor oil and waste cooking for my 4 wheeled vehicles. I want to build and diesel bike and trike if possible and run them both on my formular of recycled fuel. If anyone wants to get started on recycling fuel it is worth doing and will save you loads of money in the long run, there is loads of web sites that cover the subject.
If anyone has built a diesel bike out of the Daihatsu Charade Diesel 1 litre engine and used either a Moto-Guzzi or BMW gearbox or similar would you mind giving me some pointers on getting them connected please.
I don't want to publish any details on line about waste oil processing but if anyone lives in and around the Sheffield S25, England area I will gladly take them through the process.
cheers4now
ALAN
Stuart
Site Admin

Re: new member, Sheffield S25 England

Post by Stuart »

Welcome Alan :)
I'm currently attempting the Daihatsu/BMW thing but hardly got started as yet. I won't be putting up a build thread but feel free to msg through here or by email.

Stuart
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
jimmy62alan
I'm pretty new here..

Post by jimmy62alan »

Hi Stuart,
from what I've been reading the Moto-Guzzi frame is a good doner for the project, I have found a guy with a MOTO GUZZI V50 Mk111 FRAME but it does not come with the log book. I still fancy getting it as I could finish up with a Daihatsu logbook yet, I don't know if it will be possible to transfer the logbook details to a diesel bike. I suppose thats all part of the fun of building a new project.
Me and the misses are hoping to move to a bigger house with 3 garages lol, I know greedy or what haha. I want to get 1 garage for shot blasting and another for spray painting, I've been starved of working space for to long so I will be making the most of it. This place has even got a celler as well so for storing spares it will be realy good.
I have a reliant back axle that will be converted to disc brake, for a diesel trike project I have planned as well. The Bike will be the first on the agender to get built thou.
cheers for getting in touch, if you hear of anyone wanting a bit of advice on processing waste oil drop me a line on my email address boyle1962@yahoo.co.uk
ALAN
Sheffield S25
coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by coachgeo »

jimmy62alan wrote:Hi Guys,
I'm new to the site and hope to get some advice and hopefully exchange views on various diesel subjects with you's all. I have not been on a bike for some time but I have recycled waste motor oil and waste cooking for my 4 wheeled vehicle...
ALAN
Welcome to the board.

Agree that going into the in and outs of producing fuel out of WVO and Waste Engine Oil is best left to websites where that is their aim. One thing though that is a bit specific to bikes is how to make that all work within the small confines of a bike. Any discussion on how one does this most certainly fits here on this board.

My humble proposal thus far on that is-

For WVO based fuels. Waste Engine oil may be similar

I. if doing distant travel

A. One tank system
. USE BLENDs Im thinking WVO/RUG or Peter Schur blend
. use an engine with coolant (aka- not air cooled)
. best if use indirect injection engine (Kubota is still IDI)
. have and use a coolant pre-heater for year round use (a)wall plug powered coolant heater on board. (b) develop a fuel powered coolant heater (Im thinking propane)
. have flat plate heat exchanger for coolant to fuel heating
. Special injectors - available thru Elsbett http://www.anc.me http://www.elsbett.info

II. if doing fuel up at home mostly type trips

A. Biodiesel and/or Two tank

1. Two tank- much the same as One tank system but add switch over valve and in tank WVO warmer; not to combustion ready warmth...... just enough to move the WVO easily. Further heating deeper in the system to reach necessary viscosity for best combustion.
Stuart
Site Admin

Post by Stuart »

Personally I'd steer clear of log book irregularities :/ Not sure about Guzzi fitting Daihatsu. I'm looking at going K series route.
The BMW K100 clutch aligns pretty well with Daihatsu flywheel. Still got machining to do though :)
Stuart. M1030M1, Honda NC700S, Grom!, Toyota Corolla 1.4 Turbo Diesel. Favouring MPG over MPH.
gilburton
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by gilburton »

The V50 frame is smaller than the other Guzzi frames so I suspect you would be in for a lot of stretching.The V750 is the same. You would need to be looking at the 1000 etc.!
Guzzis are quite rare compared with BMW and you might also consider the larger Hondas eg Gold Wing Pan etc but most of the bikes mentioned have "low" engines so the Daihatsu will need some surgery to fit?
Get a rolling bike with V5 reg document and you'll find it's a lot easier to register it :) Insurance is another matter :D
jimmy62alan
I'm pretty new here..

Post by jimmy62alan »

I don't mind stretching and lowering the cradle as I want a realy low rider anyway, but the registration of the bike will be my main worry. I don't want to get a F--king Q plate, they look so tacky lol.
As Mentioned I will probably go for a V5 frame and work off that, I have heard you can use the Ural gearbox and get the gearing changed to improve on the speed somewhat. I'll be doing a bit more research into getting the adapter plate done. Theres a guy I'm trying to contact in Lancaster called Robert Taylor thats already done this and I'm going to try and contact him hopefully, I will let you know what the outcome is if I contact him.
ALAN
Sheffield S25 2RN