yanmar l100, need the experts

Usage, MPG, Pricing, Bio-Diesel, etc...

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

MissionDan
I'm pretty new here..

yanmar l100, need the experts

Post by MissionDan »

you boys may not know this but on google you are the experts on these engines, the search results more often than not throw up you guys and your exploits, and markedly there always seems to be plenty of pics and in depth explanations of what you have done, for that i am grateful as ive gained loads of help just searching the forums for info i need..

enough brown nosing, im hoping some of you might be able to help me, i have an hinowa dumper (i know its not a motorbike, i ride a zrx1100 so not many miles away from you fellas) but it does get pushed around by an l100, an engine that i personally rate highly, its cost nothing to own, runs on a thimble of fuel and until this week started every day,

electric start used to work, battery died and now nothing after a full charge, have a new stator and a regulator to go on this week but like a fool i got mixed on the terminals from battery to starter and reg, would anyone happen to have a pic? i think its positive to the reg? but is there any reason why we got nothing on the key now? and any idea why the battery wont charge?

any info much appreciated
coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: yanmar l100, need the experts

Post by coachgeo »

Don't know if they have the info you need but here is something

http://us.yanmar.com/products/industria ... ing-guide/

Update: On second thought......... dont think above will help. Most Troubles it list; the recommendation to fix the issue is.... "see a yanmar dealer" :roll:
MissionDan
I'm pretty new here..

Post by MissionDan »

thanks geo, i found a pdf manual and it has the wiring diagram in there, annoyingly trying to remove the flywheel i broke two cooling fins, arrgghhh. any idea how to stop it spinning when im undoing it?
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

If it has a starter it has ring gear. Place a suitable size of a piece of hardwood between something that doesnt move and the ring gear. Always use a six sided socket (not 12 sided) that is the correct fit, put as much force as you like and smetimes made easier with a blow from a hammer on the end of the socket.
Sam
MissionDan
I'm pretty new here..

Post by MissionDan »

ahh its obvious now sam, thanks for your advice. got all my parts today, hope i can get the machine back out working
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Might have a balance issue now with two fins broken off. Will potentially decrease life of bearings etc on the flywheel side of the motor?
MissionDan
I'm pretty new here..

Post by MissionDan »

coachgeo wrote:Might have a balance issue now with two fins broken off. Will potentially decrease life of bearings etc on the flywheel side of the motor?
bugger, ok so new flywheel then, this motor has had a fair few quid spent on it now!
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

MissionDan wrote:
coachgeo wrote:Might have a balance issue now with two fins broken off. Will potentially decrease life of bearings etc on the flywheel side of the motor?
bugger, ok so new flywheel then, this motor has had a fair few quid spent on it now!
well don't assume I'm right. This is why my putting of question marks. Let other's add their toughts on this before you go spending your hard earned money.
MissionDan
I'm pretty new here..

Post by MissionDan »

well i won a spare engine on ebay yesterday which im collecting thos afternnon so for £70 it was worth that price just for the flywheel and starter.
BertTrack

Post by BertTrack »

knock off the two opposite fins on the other side? ;) Or rebalance it yourself. Put it on a free turning shaft and give it a spin.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

BertTrack wrote:knock off the two opposite fins on the other side? ;) Or rebalance it yourself. Put it on a free turning shaft and give it a spin.
ahhhhhhhhhh......... recall a build thread in here where someone did something like that though I think it was to shave their own flywheel. Saw somewhere where someone took a cheap bubble type wheel balancer and used that somehow to rebalance a small flywheel.
MissionDan
I'm pretty new here..

Post by MissionDan »

haha bert that is clever and cunning at the same time. i have the spares engine now so im all good. it has all of the parts that i bought last week on it too which is really bloody annoying! still it should be back together and up and running tommorow, will let you guys know how i get on. much appreciated regards the help, i had no where to turn so thanks to everyone who replied with solid advice
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

If you still have the broken fins they would probably braze back on OK.
Sam
MissionDan
I'm pretty new here..

Post by MissionDan »

does anyone have any advice for a battery?
MissionDan
I'm pretty new here..

Post by MissionDan »

i ahould add, if anyone needs any genuine yanmar parts from this engine, i have a spare starter motor, a 5 wire regulator, a 3 wire regulator, head, decompression top etc etc plenty of parts. email me at localdiggers@gmail.com
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

coachgeo wrote:
BertTrack wrote:knock off the two opposite fins on the other side? ;) Or rebalance it yourself. Put it on a free turning shaft and give it a spin.
ahhhhhhhhhh......... recall a build thread in here where someone did something like that though I think it was to shave their own flywheel. Saw somewhere where someone took a cheap bubble type wheel balancer and used that somehow to rebalance a small flywheel.

That was me :) Im still in one piece! (and so is the flywheel..(