Starting from scratch

Engine's, injection, valve's, timing, crank's etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Whisky Fish
I'm pretty new here..

Starting from scratch

Post by Whisky Fish »

Hello again gang. As the title says, I'm truly beginning from scratch and I was hoping you folks could get me on the right path.
I'm planning on an enduro/duel sport conversion. I don't have the donor bike yet but I currently ride a KLR 650 and love it. I'd like to see 65 mph. I have no problem buying the right engine and drive lines for the job. I'm decent at wrenching but I'm by no means a professional. Any advice you can give is appreciated.
coachgeo
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Starting from scratch

Post by coachgeo »

I'd say you need a minimum 2cyl engine to reach 65mph. Problem is it will end up with a bike potentially size of your 650 or probably larger in physical dimensions but with weight of a larger petrol Adventure bike since diesel engines are just ...... HEAVY and their is no real getting around that.

You'll also need a large enduro as base bike to accomidate the physical size of a diesel engine if you want as little frame modification as you can get... which would be wise if you or local connection does not have ability to bend tube, do fabrication etc.
Whisky Fish
I'm pretty new here..

Post by Whisky Fish »

Used to be a Harley guy so I'm ok with a bigger bike. In reading older posts here I'm thinking 19 hp is as small as I should go. I'm interested in longevity and reliability. Don't want to start a brawl on here but is there a preferred engine brand?
tappy

Post by tappy »

You're replacing the engine and transmission of a bike. In the UK if you also modify the frame away from "as new from the manufacturer" then you no longer have enough "points" to keep the registration and will have a Q-plate or age related plate (if all new parts).

A lot of people are making these mods and getting an MOT anyway - that's down to the discretion / ignorance of the MOT tester but if you crash you may well not be insured if it transpires that you should've had an MSVA test. As I say, many people are doing it anyway

Some of those frames on bikes like the KLR are tall enough to handle a Ruggerini / Lombardini / Hatz 950cc twin, but the main cradle isn't generally then long enough to fit a transmission in behind. You might squeeze a CVT in - the jackshaft would fit in the space OK, but the driven sheaves would have to over-hang the swingarm pivot etc. Do-able, possibly a bit ugly, although all sorts of ugly stuff can look good on an adventure bike.

If you use a twin or 3-cylinder engine then you could consider using a smaller engine and turbo-charging to get the power. Getting a turbo to work on a single diesel would appear to be a right pain.

Also, if you use a small engine, geared for 65 or 70mph top whack, then you'll be revving it too high and get rubbish fuel economy. If you use a larger engine and keep the revs closer to half or two-thirds max rpm at 65mph then you'll get much better economy.
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Sorry to go off topic. When has the points system been put into practice? I read about it but didn't know when it had been implemented?

I did wonder if my bike needed an sva etc as the frame was modified but the dvla didn't seem to care.
tappy

Post by tappy »

The "points" system has been in place for years - must be at least 10 years - but as I said, MOT testers etc seem to turn a blind eye, and the DVLA are only interested from a vehicle excise duty point of view. Regardless of the MOT tester, it's still YOUR responsibility to check that your vehicle is roadworthy and compliant with the regulations so if you cause an accident, and the modifications are contributory then you'd be uninsured and personally liable etc etc. That said, if the MOT tester said nothing you might have some defence in court.

I wouldn't worry too much, but it makes you think about doing welds properly...

After a bit of digging around it turns out that Q-plate insurance isn't too bad after all (despite the horror stories).
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

Indeed! I never knew that. I did inform dvla of everything that was done to the bike and have it in writing nothing else needed doing. I think they said an sva only needed doing if the vehicle lost its identity (ie too many points or a new frame)
tappy

Post by tappy »

Oooh, I might try that too then :) I've purposely used the headstock / main-frame of an Aprilia Pegaso. The aluminium spars can be un-bolted from it, so in theory I keep the identity and haven't modified the main frame. Sadly I haven't used the front and rear suspension or axles so in theory the bike loses its identity (not enough points) and I get a Q-plate. Deffo worth double checking withthe DVLA tho :)
alexanderfoti
Site Admin

Post by alexanderfoti »

tappy wrote: worth double checking withthe DVLA tho :)
Of course ask dvla the same question 5 times and get 5 different answers! Hehe
Whisky Fish
I'm pretty new here..

Post by Whisky Fish »

Guess I should have stated that I am in the US. Not absolutely sure, but I don't think it's gonna be an emissions or insurance issue here. But by all means, I'm learning about world issues. Interesting.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Emissions may not be an issue.... IN CALIFORNIA??? don't think that is an assumption you should make. A lot of trucks with 2 and 3cyl diesel powered refer's are having to be refitted due to new emission standards on small industrial/Ag diesel engines
Whisky Fish
I'm pretty new here..

Post by Whisky Fish »

coachgeo wrote:Emissions may not be an issue.... IN CALIFORNIA??? don't think that is an assumption you should make. A lot of trucks with 2 and 3cyl diesel powered refer's are having to be refitted due to new emission standards on small industrial/Ag diesel engines
Motorcycles are exempt from smog checks. If you buy a donor with clean title they will never look at you. Not saying they wouldn't be a pain if u were building a proto. But they, like the rest of the world don't consider a diesel on an MC
Whisky Fish
I'm pretty new here..

Post by Whisky Fish »

So, in looking at donor bikes and engine size I'm thinking an enduro may not be tithe best choice. is there a vehicle weight to engine weight metric that dictates efficiency and performance? I've run Harley's in the dirt so I know how that works so a street bike with some off road mods is not out of the question