Ready for the road?

Insurance & Registration issues etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

stormcoat
Been here a while now..

Ready for the road?

Post by stormcoat »

I have a question for the message board. Can anyone tell me what I shall need to do to put my converted Dnepr on the road. I am in the process of fitting it with a Petter twin, (NOT the monstrous dumper truck variety!) which requires some frame alteration.

Do I need to re-register the bike? (It has a number and V5, but has not been licensed for several years; it is a 1991 model)

Will I need to pay for an expensive test report and if so, how do I go about it?

I can only find one insurer, Carol Nash, who is quite expensive, compared with my "classic" insurance through Norwich Union. Who do you insure through? (UK Members)

Does anyone know of any other legal pitfalls that might be waiting for me, of of any impending legislation to spoil our fun? (Remember the RH sidecar debacle?)

I have enjoyed looking at your website and admire the ingenuity and resourcefulness of members in meeting the challenges they have set themselves. I shall report on any progress made on my own project, later in the year.

So far, I have made up a conversion plate to fit engine and gearbox together, fabricated an exhaust stub, converted the engine to run at variable speed and started work on a cradle to support the engine and gearbox in the frame. I have yet to cut and re-weld the frame. I am waiting for some warmer weather, as I will need to work outside. A local engineer still has my clutch and flywheel. He assures me he will have it ready by the time I have finished the frame.

The clutch is to be let in to the flywheel by means of turning out a large chunk in the wheel and removing the centre boss of the clutch. This should enable me to retain the original clutch release mechanism.

I have not heard of anyone else using a Petter twin. My choice was made mainly because it was cheap and had a built in bell housing which makes it easy to fit the gearbox. Performance is likely to be "relaxed", but the engine is mostly aluminium on the outside and is not too heavy. I think it should endow the vehicle with a complimentary degree of character. Pictures will follow soon, so you can make up your own minds!

Best wishes to everyone in the new year.

Stormcoat
sbrumby
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Post by sbrumby »

Ifyou have a V5 should be no problem, one question though does it have a sorn at present? that might still not be a prob though. Just send off the V5 with engine No, no need for make,change of fuel, & colour change if any, 5 days later it should come back, then just wander down to the MOT garage, which also souldnt be a prob. As long as you have got lights brakes etc. Insurance I started post quite a while ago but nobody could be bothered to reply or they were to embarrased at what they were paying. I am with Footman James, half Carol Nash.
regards SAM.
Sam
SUMO
Been here a while now..

Post by SUMO »

sorry - im going through this at the minute

to be legal - if you modify the front loop of the frame it is then classed as a "radically altered vehicle" and will need an msva test

you will most likely get away with just changing the engine number and sending off the form, but very shortly the mot stations are going to be asked to check that front loop is standard at test times.... police will also have access to this info so if you get pulled you are screwed. if you have an accident and they find out, you will have invalid insurance / invalid tax etc... lots of points and fines and very messy

so im going the msva way and saving future grief - the test really doesnt look all htat bad - kinda like a monster MOT test

not wihing to be the voice of doom but thats the law now like it or not - you make the decision if you want to obey it or not obviously :)
lex
Been here a while now..

Radically Altered!!!

Post by lex »

Hi Sumo!
Cheers for that!
Certainly news to me, along with many other members in the process of building I have thoroughly hacked my 'front loop'!!!!!!!

Keep us all posted on the super tough MOT and what it involves, will they ultasonically test the welds?

Lex
SUMO
Been here a while now..

Post by SUMO »

no its nothing that bad. this is the basic guideline to download - it really does mainly seem safety based. oh i didnt mention -you end up with a q plate though...

there is more to it though but not too much.

i just upload this for you its a free hosting site so you have to wait 20 seconds

http://www.sendafile.org/v/6037802/.html

it will only be there for i think either 45 or 120 days but havea read then buy the full manual for £30 from the dvla haha
lex
Been here a while now..

Thanks

Post by lex »

Thanks Sumo!
But the file link went to a file not found error - is there another way to find the info?
Cheers

Alex
SUMO
Been here a while now..

Post by SUMO »

hmm so it does...bugger

give this one a go

http://www.sendmefile.com/00605545

same again - wait 20 seconds and little download icon pops up
lex
Been here a while now..

Works fine now thanks!

Post by lex »

Thanks Sumo!
Got it now!
Compliments on your build by the way too!
Cheers

Lex
stormcoat
Been here a while now..

ready for the road?

Post by stormcoat »

I am grateful all your replies.

The modification to my frame will involve cutting it in half, replacing the top rail with a raised section and replacing part of the bottom loop with a cradle, made from square box section, 2inch.(This has been measured and cut to size, but not yet welded together.) I don't want to bend the front down tubes to widen the frame, as others have done, as I could not be sure if I could maintain the correct steering head angle. I am also not confident of bending the frame tubes without compromising their strength.
I should feel more confident riding if the bike was examined professionally, but I should like to know where I would get this done and how much it would cost.

Has anyone already done this?
Would my local government run MOT centre be able to provide this service?
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

I am sure Sumo has valid points on the test situation but quite how the test stations are going to know what things were like when they came out of the factory I dont know. On the insurance point, you are insured on what you have declaired to the insurance. You can be drunk and still insured, unless you have a tea total policy. If you have made any changes to a vehicle it is on you to declair. For example adding a nice set of alloy wheels can invalidate insurance or nock down what is paid out. On the tax situation they would be hardpressed to do anything as you have paid & they have excepted it.
I think we would be far better finding out what are the rules in the other eu states. For instance France no MOT no tax. Isle of Mann MOT for life of bike. I dont see much difference in haveing a Q plate to haveing a French plate. After all If Stobart can ride round with forein plates why cant we.
Sam
SUMO
Been here a while now..

Post by SUMO »

i guess it depends on the extent of your mods. mine is clearly modified. but they know that mr yamkawazuki didnt make a diesel bike so will be alerted to the possibility surely. if its just a couple of engine plates and it looks stock you might get away with it

im not trying to tell anyone they have to do this but it is the only way to be technically legal thats all. you make your own call as to if you want to do it or not.
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

I hope Sumo you are makeing notes on what is involved in taking a bike through the msva test, costs relavent rules etc. as this information would be invaluable to anyone considering a future build.
Sam