´regulator help PLEASE!

Wiring, Switches, Alternators, Regulators, etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

jonnyr48
I luv the smell of Diesel...

´regulator help PLEASE!

Post by jonnyr48 »

hi all, does anybody know if the ruggerini MD150/151 regulator should be bolted straight to the frame (i.e. thereby earthing it?), or isolated from the frame by rubber sleeves on the bolts? there is no actual wire going to earth on the regulator, they all go elsewhere, but i want to make sure before i wire it up! this is the same engine as the lombardini 25LD425, so anybody using that regulator could also advise, please? and does it matter which alternator wire goes to which terminal on the regulator?i cant see why it should,so long as they both go to the terminals for the alternator, if you see what i mean? i have to run this very soon so speedy replies would be appreciated!
cheers, jonny.
tappy

Re: ´regulator help PLEASE!

Post by tappy »

Looking in my Ruggerini manual suggests that the reg/rec casing does indeed go to earth. First tho' - how many wires come from your alternator, and how many terminals does the reg/rec have?
jonnyr48

Post by jonnyr48 »

2 wires from the (internal) alternator, i think 5 from the regulator (i dont have it with me at the mo).
tappy

Post by tappy »

Yep, in that case I'm pretty sure that the casing of the reg/rec needs to have a good earth.
henneberg

Post by henneberg »

Hi,

The internal alternator stator has 2 wire output, and the regulator needs a solid ground connection from its casing to the engine block and battery ground ( minus pole ).

For my Enfield / MD151 build https://www.dieselbikeforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2599, I am using an original Yanmar L100 15 A regulator with the same wiring scheme,

regards, Erik
---------------
Enfield Ruggerini MD151 654cc build - running: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4UsIn5QLxk
jonnyr48

Post by jonnyr48 »

thanks a lot guys!
cheers, jonny.