Lohmann Engine

Engine's, injection, valve's, timing, crank's etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

Darren
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Lohmann Engine

Post by Darren »

An 18cc engine based on the Lohmann engine is being trialled for production. Idea is to use it for irrigation in Non Industrialised countires

7 hours on 1 litre and vegetable oil as a specified fuel!!

see

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3-VLNjwIsg

http://www.practicafoundation.nl/produc ... iesel.html

and the original Lohmann engine patent

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/2583499.pdf
Enfield Bullet with Hatz IB30
See my sites for veg oil fuel info
www.vegburner.co.uk
www.wiki.obed.org.uk - Open Biofuel Engine Development wiki
balboa_71

Post by balboa_71 »

Darren,
Would be nice if they would have gotten the displacement up to 49cc for other applications. 18cc's is a tad small. I once built a weedeater powered bicycle using a 25cc weedeater engine and 10mph was all it could muster with the right sized friction drive. On the other hand, having an engine that runs on oil as opposed to gas is a blessing, and if the engine does not require any other form of lubrication, thats a plus (aside from using sealed bearings).
I'd really like to get my hands on one of these micro diesels for testing. Perhaps theres a way to convert a larger weedeater engine to run on diesel using the variable compression ratio devise and eliminate the need for spark ignition and oil/gas mixture for fuel???

Cris
1980 GS850 converted to 10hp diesel clone power.
2006 Jetta TDI for road work.
2007 Bonneville
oldbmw

Post by oldbmw »

I would have thought for a water pump in hot countries a Stirling engine would have been better. no fuel required at all.
balboa_71

Post by balboa_71 »

oldbmw,
I've built several Stirling engines, and to be honest, pumping water is all they can manage. No mater how exotic you build them, the gas transfer/expansion/compression just will not do much else for you....

Cris
2007 Bonneville
oldbmw

Post by oldbmw »

balboa_71 wrote:oldbmw,
I've built several Stirling engines, and to be honest, pumping water is all they can manage. No mater how exotic you build them, the gas transfer/expansion/compression just will not do much else for you....

Cris
Yes, I am not advocating it to power a bike, but the project was for a water pump, and by using the cold water as it is pumped up. would help the cold side.
trailer_parks
Been here a while now..

Post by trailer_parks »

Cris
http://www.stirlingenergy.com/whatisastirlingengine.htm
oldbmw

Post by oldbmw »

Cris
Out of interest, how big were the engines that you built? i can see from teh low pressures involved that the power output has to be modest.
balboa_71

Post by balboa_71 »

Hey guys,
I built small engines, nothing too exotic due to the need to have large stainless steel (read $$$$) components (perhaps using stainless thin walled cookware???) to get much bigger. Stirlings are exotic in themselfs, what I built was made in a small shop, using materials available (brass for cylinders, very expensive graphite for pistons) and whatever I could find for the balance of engine. Keep in mind that some components are almost impossible to build without very expensive boring and laping equipment to get friction free piston to cylinder clearance. On a tool makers lathe (Monarch
10 hp, read $$$$$$$$ to own and power) it was almost impossible to build some of the components without very careful fitting. Friction was at every joint, and sliding component; one tries to reduce friction to nill..... With that said, I build engines that would run on the heat generated using one candle or perhaps, a 60 watt light bulb. All joints needed to be lubrication free, because oil added too much friction to the joints!!!

Cris
2007 Bonneville
Diesel Graham
Been here a while now..

Post by Diesel Graham »

I have one of these Lohmann diesel engines currently undergoing restoration.
I hope to get it running by mid 2008 and will post the results here for anyone who is curious.
Enfield Taurus Greaves - running well now!
Lohmann 18cc - undergoing restoration