Crazy gearbox idea that just might work...

Gearbox questions & answers etc..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

bhtooefr
Been here a while now..

Crazy gearbox idea that just might work...

Post by bhtooefr »

So, over on 'BentRider Online, someone posted a link to a Hatz diesel-powered Quest velomobile:

http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageb ... tcount=160

That got me thinking about how bicycle components could be used to build a motorized vehicle around a small engine.

Rohloff makes a 14-speed hub that's known for being rather expensive (~$1500), but known for being wide ratio (526% spread), lightweight, efficient, and absolutely bulletproof. They rate it for 100 Nm maximum input torque. Downside would be that some clutch solution would have to be found, although I think a simple centrifugal clutch would work - the Rohloff is a freewheeling hub, so as soon as the engine stops applying torque to the hub, the Rohloff freewheels, a centrifugal clutch would disengage, and the engine would fall to idle. Also, a jackshaft setup would be needed, as bicycle components are right-side drive (but that also works around the sprocket requirements).

But, the torque rating is ideal - the Yanclones that are popular around here (or were last time I was on here) are about 27 Nm, and a 3.7:1 gear reduction (which would give 15 mph in 1st, 79 mph in 14th, at 3600 RPM, on a 44-406 bicycle tire - it gets faster, obviously, with a bigger tire, although something well-streamlined could take advantage of such gearing) would not exceed the torque limits. Alternately, using the Rohloff itself as a mid-drive (which would, admittedly, require some heavy modification to the engine to get it to rotate backwards, or an UUUUUGLY jackshaft setup) would allow for even further gearing down.

Thoughts?
gilburton
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Crazy gearbox idea that just might work...

Post by gilburton »

Anyone remember this??
I only included it as it had a freewheel hub for economy.
http://www.youtube.com/user/combidrive
Dougy
I luv the smell of Diesel...

Re: Crazy gearbox idea that just might work...

Post by Dougy »

Be careful with the letter spacing when your typing in bent rider online or you might be in for one hell of a surprise. :shock: :lol:
IGNORE THE RATTLE AND ENJOY THE RIDE