bike trailer for a bike

Talk about anything unrelated to Diesel Motorcycles - hard as that may be..

Moderators: Dan J, Diesel Dave, Crazymanneil, Stuart

oldbmw
I luv the smell of Diesel...

bike trailer for a bike

Post by oldbmw »

Hi
Does anyone know of a bike trailer that can be towed empty with a bike. If possible I would like to buy a car in the UK and if I could tow the trailer with my bike there I could then use the trailer to return in the car towing trailer and bike.
Larry
XLerate

Re: bike trailer for a bike

Post by XLerate »

Seems it would matter a lot whether your tow vehicle/bike is 2 wheeled or a trike? There's issues of tongue weight bearing down on rear of tow vehicle, something a bike's not built for. Also could be stability issues if the tongue weight is bearing down on rear of bike when it's tilted over in a turn?

In addition you'd need full trailer brakes, enough to handle the whole load safely, and some kind of control to actuate trailer brakes from bike controls.

Towing can quickly become a very dangerous proposition if you don't fully think through the dynamics ahead of time. I had a major truck & trailer towing wreck years ago and I'll guarantee you, ya DON'T want to go there! Please be real safe...
sbrumby

Post by sbrumby »

Your problem in the Uk and I pressume the same in France, solo bikes have a width restriction of 1meter towing and I think 2.5 meters length which is measured from the bike axel not the back of the bike. But if you travel on your bike, buy a car and a trailer then you havent got a problem.My question is living in France why would you want to buy a car in England?
Sam
XLerate

Post by XLerate »

You might want to check around the forum at the link:

http://www.motocampers.com/forums/index.php

Some real nice folks there and they may have some good answers for your questions. There's several sections there for bike towing.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Might consider a different way of going about this. have seen several versions of this same concept. Would be ton easier to cary with you on the bike too.

http://hoghauler.net/home
http://hhauler.com/index.html crap... 160bucks..... damn good price
oldbmw

Post by oldbmw »

Thanks guys, I will keep looking.

I prefer to drive with a RH steering wheel..

think maybe to hire a car trailer and go with a car :(
Larry
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

I assume you want to come across on your bike to tour around or something??
Otherwise I would just fly across and hire a car over here until you obtain your own.
The other option , depending on the type of car you want and the size of your bike, is to partially strip the bike and put it in the back??
I've done this a few times in the past in estate cars but people carriers should be easy.
It's amazing how much difference it makes if you take off the wheels/mudguards and turn the bars down or remove them?
If you take the tank off,remove battery and oil it'll even lie down on an old mattress or something :)
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

coachgeo wrote:Might consider a different way of going about this. have seen several versions of this same concept. Would be ton easier to cary with you on the bike too.

http://hoghauler.net/home
http://hhauler.com/index.html crap... 160bucks..... damn good price

did you look at the tow hitch bike cradle links in the post I included above? This completely solves your problems. For the leg of the trip on the bike; the few parts involved can be tied to your panniers or on the back. Once your at your location you rent a vehicle with a tow hitch... insert the few items you carried to create the tow cradle... mount your bike to it and off you go back to your destination.

Only limitation that might negate this is they're not light; so test out to see if it throws off weight of bike or not. Would not be any heavier though... if not even lighter, than going two up on the bike.
Last edited by coachgeo on Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »

Looks like Hog Hauler's website is down or they went out of business. Still though you'll look for similar idea of a brand sold on your side of the pond anyway. A welder might can make one up for you as well. Hog Hauler has lot of video's on youtube to get the idea.
coachgeo

Post by coachgeo »